FITS images are monochrome

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
weinstk

FITS images are monochrome

Post by weinstk »

Astro Pixel Processor is treating FITS images captured in v4.0 as monochrome (actually Green). I capture from an ASI224MC using RAW16 format. This setup worked perfectly in the previous version 3.2 for the past year. To the best of my knowledge, I've changed nothing else but all DSO images are coming out mono/green since switching to SharpCap 4.0 last week. Ideas?
Attachments
m1_00001.CameraSettings.txt
(761 Bytes) Downloaded 34 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: FITS images are monochrome

Post by admin »

Hi,

SharpCap 3.2 always wrote the bayer pattern in FITS headers in a way that was compatible with APP (and AstroArt, PIPP, etc), but was wrong for PixInsight, Deep Sky Stacker, Siril, etc. Sadly these programs disagree about what the 'correct' header setting should be for the same data :(

SharpCap 4.0 now has an option for this, which defaults to the value for PixInsight/DSS, since those seem to be the most popular stacking programs. For APP, you need to change the setting shown below
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (86.64 KiB) Viewed 272 times
For existing capture files, you will need to override the automatic bayer pattern setting in APP (sorry, can't recall how to do that as I don't usually use APP).

Hope this helps,

Robin
weinstk

Re: FITS images are monochrome

Post by weinstk »

Much obliged - thank you. I have figured out how to force the correct Debayer pattern in APP.
This answers the "why is my image green question" ! I have also made the change in v4.0 as you outlined so we should be good to go the next clear night. Thanks for the timely response. :)