Changing focus when changing filter

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
windytops

Changing focus when changing filter

Post by windytops »

Please, for the avoidance of doubt;
Am I wasting my time trying to find a way to change focus by a designated amount each time I issue a change filter instruction ?
I have Sharpcap PRO, Moonlite CS focuser, ZWO EFW Filter wheel, ZWO ASI224MC.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Changing focus when changing filter

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, this is supported in SharpCap 4, providing your ASCOM filter wheel driver allows you to setup a 'focus offset' value for each filter in its setup window. See https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Focus% ... %20Changes.

SharpCap will adjust the filter by the difference between the offsets for the 'moving from' and 'moving too' filters when you rotate the filter wheel. Note that this will only happen if the filter wheel movement is triggered from within SharpCap.

cheers,

Robin
windytops

Post by windytops »

Excellent news thanks. I was confused, because on the one hand I had read statements that the EFW did not need an ASCOM driver, yet on the other it did [to do what I wanted] I will go to the link and hopefully be unconfused. Thanks.
windytops

Post by windytops »

Thanks Robin- seems to work well. When I built my first [lousey] telescope back in 1956, I could never have imagined the level of functionality we amateurs have these days. I am very grateful and don't take it for granted.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

no problem, glad it is working well. It is amazing how things have advanced - I have a copy of Patrick Moore's 'Guide to the Planets' on my bookshelf - first published ~1951. The photographs of the moon/planets shown in the book that come from professional observatories could be bettered now by someone with a 3 inch refractor and a half decent camera!

cheers,

Robin