SharpCap and Fujifilm X-H1

Eric Clayton

SharpCap and Fujifilm X-H1

Post by Eric Clayton »

Has anyone been able to get the FujiFilm X-H1 camera working with SharpCap? It is compatible with gphoto, but I have not been able to get it working in SharpCap. No real idea where to start, so any assistance more than welcome. It may save me yet another headache.
Thanks
Eric
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap and Fujifilm X-H1

Post by admin »

Hi Eric,

the Fujifilm camera is not directly supported by SharpCap, but it looks like there is a webcam driver for the camera, which is maybe what you are trying to use. If so, what error do you get when attempting to use the camera?

cheers,

Robin
Eric Clayton

Post by Eric Clayton »

Hi Robin,
thanks for your quick response. I had not been trying to use the FujiFilm X Webcam 2 application. I just tried tonight. It works in both Zoom and Skype so I then tried to use it in SharpCap. This resulted in an error message This camera does not provide control over resolution and colour space. It cannot be used in this version of SharpCap. The version I am using is SharpCap Pro (v4.0.8472), I understand this to be the latest version.
There were three suggested fixes, I tried all three to no avail.
If I try to use the Fujifilm X-H1 there is no response by the program. As you say, it is not directly supported by SharpCap.
Crossing fingers, there is a workaround for the WebCam application,
Once again, thanks for you quick response,
Cheers Eric
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Eric,

sadly, modern versions of SharpCap require the webcam driver to at least be able to report the resolution info of the camera correctly (even if it cannot be changed). Very old versions of SharpCap (probably going back 5 or more years) had a mode that avoided this limitation by allowing the camera driver to handle everything, but this had to be removed to allow the same features that are available on dedicated astro cameras to be available on webcams.

I'm afraid that I can't think of a way around this, unless in the future someone adds support for your camera to something like the ASCOM.DSLR driver (this would require someone with good programming skills, a camera like yours and the inclination to make the required changes to the code).

cheers,

Robin
Eric Clayton

Post by Eric Clayton »

Thanks Robin,
I was hopeful, but it cant be helped. I still have the svbony sv105 camera to keep me out of mischief. Just hoping it will be good for deep space imaging.
Cheers Eric
I can spend the daylight hours watching the Ashes, and dreaming that cameras will work
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have to spend every morning pretending that the Ashes aren't happening - too depressing otherwise from this side of the world ;)

cheers,

Robin
Eric Clayton

Post by Eric Clayton »

Sorry, couldnt resist this one that i just saw:-
"What's the difference between the English cricket team and a funeral director? A funeral director doesnt lose the ashes"
Just gloating, fully realising that what goes around, comes around
Cheers Eric
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Eric,

you have to laugh about it :) The one that made me chuckle was...

The England cricket team has officially beaten the Wuhan Street market for the worst use of a bat ever.

cheers,

Robin
Eric Clayton

Post by Eric Clayton »

Coffee all over my keyboard!!! Thanks for your support. I will use the svbony camera and learn the software in more detail now.
lets hope that at the end of 2022 we dont look back and say that 2021 was a great year in comparison.
Cheers Eric
Eric Clayton

Post by Eric Clayton »

Hi Robin,
I have returned to the fray attempting to get my Fujifilm X-H1 working with SharpCap. I think with some success. Fujifilm released an application called Fujifilm X acquire. This allows me to capture frames from the camera and place them in a specified folder on a laptop. It is a USB connection to the laptop and gives control over the cameras shutter speed, aperture, iso, white balance and exposure compensation. I have this working successfully.
I found Virtual Cameras on page 116 of the SharpCap users manual. (No, I had not read pages 1 to 115 before I found this). This I think will give me the control I need to use my Fuji. Just need to specify an output directory for the Fuji and monitor that with SharpCap. (I think). I have only tested this with some old SharpCap data, but the program found this and displayed it correctly. Wish me luck!!
One question. Is it possible to use plate solving using this directory structure? I noticed that the plate solving algorithmn had a specified directory that was used. One reason I was looking at SharpCap was to use the plate solving technique to work out where I am looking.
Looking positive, wish me luck
Cheers Eric