Memory problems with highspeed

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Menno555

Memory problems with highspeed

Post by Menno555 »

Yesterday since a loooong time again some moon captures with my Zwo ASI385MC. This with 120fps.
Memory in SharpCap set to High Speed Frame Cache to 20Gb. Each capture session to SER file of 10,000 frames.
All these settings I used in the past but I don't recall which SC version. But at least 8 months ago or something like that.

Now with version 4.0.8485 (not with the command line) I got writing to buffer very soon and also a lot. Never had that before. It became so bad I decided to restart SC but I couldn't because SC wouldn't release the RAM. I did disconnect the camera in SC but couldn't close SC. In Windows Task Manager there was around 50% of my RAM (32 Gb of 4400Mhz DDR4) stuck which I couldn't free up other then forcing SC to close there.

Disconnected the camera from the cable, restarted Windows, connected again but it was the same.
Checked the cable and that was fine.
Attached a log file of 1 of those sessions.

Menno
Attachments
Log_2021-12-22T05_33_35-6400.log
(424.26 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Memory problems with highspeed

Post by admin »

Hi Menno,

from the log it looks like the buffering is working pretty much as expected - the frames are being stored in memory and then written out. Once you have stopped capturing, SharpCap will keep working on writing the frames out until they are all done, and that does seem to be taking quite a long time according to the log.

One suspicion that I have is that your disk or SSD is (or has been) close to full, and is therefore not writing data to file as quickly as it usually does. This will cause the number of frames in the memory buffer to rise more quickly and higher than usual, and also cause the long delay writing out when capture stops.

Try cleaning some more space on the disk/SSD, then letting Windows do a disk maintenance run on it, which should restore write speed.

I'm not quite sure when the memory is freed from the buffering - it might only happen if you open a different camera, rather than when you close down the current camera - I will have to check.

cheers,

Robin
Menno555

Re: Memory problems with highspeed

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Robin

The SSD is not the problem I think. It's a dedicated, fast 1TB NVMe SSD with more than enough space. Trimming is done on a regular interval. Checked the S.M.A.R.T. data and that's also perfect.
It's the same SSD as before but never before is slowed down so much with high speed capturing.
Will try an older version of SC next time to compare and see.

Menno