Hardware support for Pegasus Astro Falcon Rotator

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
MLM

Hardware support for Pegasus Astro Falcon Rotator

Post by MLM »

I recently got a Pegasus Astro Falcon Rotator which I plan to use for framing, and multi imaging sessions. I'd like to have the same field of view and camera rotation angle across sessions. I'm using an AltAz mount, the Panther TTS-160, which has an OTA rotator, but when that rewinds need to rotate camera in opposite direction to maintain same view. I can get the target using plate solve in Sharpcap, but as far as I can see the camera rotation angle is not reported. Am I missing something? Also I see that Pegasus has an ASCOM driver. Are there any plans to support this in SharpCap Pro (I'm currently using 4.0.8282)?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Hardware support for Pegasus Astro Falcon Rotator

Post by admin »

Hi,

I have actually just been upgrading the information shown by the plate solving engine, so the update of SharpCap coming out on Monday should help you.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (39.6 KiB) Viewed 632 times
As you can see from the screenshot, the orientation is reported by giving the direction of 'up' in the image relative to pointing north. In the new version, this information should show in both the 'solve only' and 'solve and resync' uses of the plate solving engine, previously it only showed in 'solve only'.

Hopefully this would provide the info you need to realign.

I have had a couple of other requests for rotator support - since I don't use one myself, I'm unsure of what level of functionality would be useful - is it just a matter of being able to adjust the angle as a number (like moving a focuser?). Do you use the rotator purely for alignment, or does it also get used to derotate for a non-EQ mount?

cheers,

Robin
MLM

Post by MLM »

Hi Robin,

I'll give the new version a try when it's released. This is all related to using an Alt/Az mount for imaging.

The TTS-160 Alt/Az mount I'm using has an option for a motor driven rotator sits on top of the mount and holds the OTA. The mount uses its alignment information to calculate the rate at which to rotate the OTA in the opposite direction from that at which the field of view is rotating. The rotator has a range of about ± 13 degrees, and when it hits its limit it has to be rewound, with the result that the field of view for the next series of images is rotated by the extent that the rotator moved in the prior series. So if you just carry on imaging, you have to substantially crop the series.

To avoid this, you can use the Pegasus to rotate just the camera in the opposite direction after the rewind, so the the field of view is the same as when you started. To do this you need to know how much the field rotation differs between the first and second data sets. So yes, the Falcon is used to both frame the composition, but later in the sequence, to compensate for the field rotation that occurs when the OTA rotator is rewound.

The advantage of working this way is that all frames (lights and flats etc) have the same orientation.

Thanks
Mark
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Mark,

Ok, that makes sense - also good to know that you are *not* using the falcon to derotate in real time as the AltAz mount slews, so no need to worry about that.

cheers,

Robin
MLM

Post by MLM »

Changing software is like learning to walk again so I'm hoping to stay in the SharpCap environment. I've grown very comfortable using the program, and really like the histogram Wizard recommendations, along with click to recenter after plate solve, and the focus routines.I appreciate that the number of people using Alt/Az for deep sky imaging is small compared to all the GEM users out there, but I'm a bit of a rebel, and enjoy taking a different path. Field rotation is just another challenge to be solved.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

please check out the very latest SharpCap 4.0 version when you have a chance - I have added support for ASOM rotators (but since I do not have a real one, I have only been able to work with the simulated one). Any feedback welcome.

cheers,

Robin
MLM

Post by MLM »

Hi Robin,

I just tried SharpCapInstall-4.0.8532.0. The stop button for the Falcon is no longer set (good no crash on click) but SharpCap still does not connect to the rotator when the connect box is checked; i.e. the control bars remain dimmed out.

Mark
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Mark,

do you see the same behaviour if you try to use the ASCOM simulated rotator ('Rotator Simulator .NET')? If that works for you then it is definitely something slightly odd about the Pegasus Falcon ASCOM driver that I need to get my head around.

I am putting out a new SharpCap update later today, and I will add the ability to turn on verbose logging for the rotator. If you can capture a verbose log for me of the connection (failure to properly connect), it should include all the communication between SharpCap and the ASCOM driver so I can see if anything different is happening to what I expect.

cheers,

Robin
MLM

Post by MLM »

Hi Robin,

The simulated rotator works fine: the controls in the SharpCap hardware window (right side where focuser control etc is located) are all active and the simulated rotator shows the expected movements in its window when controlled via SharpCap.

I'll have a go with the new version and send you the logs. Drop me an email when its ready to test.

Thanks for persevering with this
Mark
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Actually I just downloaded and tested with the Falcon driver - I see the same as you and it looks like it is down to the driver failing to connect, but SharpCap ignoring the error. I am just putting some proper error handling around the connection code, but it may be interesting to turn on the 'Trace' in the driver settings, to see if it records anything about why connection is failing.

cheers,

Robin