Dither without guiding The Sequencer.

Questions, tips, information and discussions about using the SharpCap Sequencer and Sequence Planner tools
Desbarry

Dither without guiding The Sequencer.

Post by Desbarry »

Hi Robin, my guiding wasnt working earlier this week (I now know why) so I went into the settings and turned on dither/ no guiding via ASCOM in RA I then went to the guiding tab on the sequencer and turned off PHD2 but selected dither every frame with ascom in ra I think, SO my question is When I ran the sequencer I didn't see in the dialog box it was dithering after every frame ( see attached) The boxes below the PHD2 were selected but not clickable. Was it dithering in RA without PHD2 being selected and it just didnt display this? in the sequencer dialog box?

Thanks Derek
Attachments
20211208_222853.jpg
20211208_222853.jpg (998.6 KiB) Viewed 993 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Dither without guiding The Sequencer.

Post by admin »

Hi Derek,

if I'm understanding you correctly then your guiding selections in the sequence planner looked like this :
capture2.JPG
capture2.JPG (36.89 KiB) Viewed 975 times
If that's the case then you would not be dithering at all, since you have turned off the top level 'guiding' option, which turns off everything underneath it. I think that the wording here is unclear, which has probably misled you, so I will clarify that for the next update.

The correct approach would be to

1) switch to dither only guiding in the settings
2) leave the 'connect to guiding application' ticked

I just checked and RA only is currently ignored when using the dither only option (it will dither in both directions). I can't see any reason why that should be that way, so I will fix it.

cheers,

Robin
Desbarry

Post by Desbarry »

Hi Robin. YES I didnt tick "connect to guiding application" as I wasnt using PHD2 as it wasnt working so I thought that Sharpcap would dither in RA only by using the ASCOM cable I was using to drive my mount via the laptop. Thats why I unchecked the top box. Really counter intuitive lol

So if I want to dither in RA but not use PHD2 I still need to tick the top box??
Thanks Derek
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Derek,

yes, leave the top box ticked, setup the dither only guiding in the settings. I have changed the wording now
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (36.71 KiB) Viewed 958 times
Hopefully that will make more sense.

cheers,

Robin
Desbarry

Post by Desbarry »

Thanks Robin, much appreciated.
Derek