Bad focal in fits header and platesolve

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
soulearth

Bad focal in fits header and platesolve

Post by soulearth »

Hi,
Since around the end of October, sharpcap add an incorrect focal value in header of my fits header( bad focal value = 1260). However, I have correctly configured "Do not use" in the configuration.
This may have been fixed since, but when I specified my true focal length (615mm), the plate resolution have a issue ( crash/bug ).

My conf :
2021-12-13_08h12_18.png
2021-12-13_08h12_18.png (3.59 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Fits header:
2021-12-13_08h09_06.png
2021-12-13_08h09_06.png (7.22 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Thank you for your help,
Best regards,
Soulearth
admin
Site Admin

Re: Bad focal in fits header and platesolve

Post by admin »

Hi,

adding the FOCALLEN header to fits was a fairly recent change. Currently it is *not* turned off by the option in the plate solving settings - that only controls whether the focal length is used to calculate the field of view when SharpCap launches the plate solve operation itself.

The value that you are getting is coming from your ASCOM Telescope driver - somewhere in the setup window for the ASCOM driver will be an option to set the focal length, where you will almost certainly find the value of 1260 is set - you should correct this setting.

thanks,

Robin
soulearth

Post by soulearth »

Hi,
Thank you very much. I understand better now.
In the long term, will it be possible to define the value of the focal length?

Best regards,
TimHaymes

Post by TimHaymes »

I have the FL set in ASPS and to ignore any FITS header info (..also set to Do-Not-Use in SC). Is there a recommended way of setting the FL? Just so that im sure i have the best arrangement. (No problems so far)
Thanks very much.
(EQ8, EQMOD, SMP11, SC 4.0.8218)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think what I need to do in SharpCap is move the focal length setting from the plate solving page to the hardware page of the settings - then it would be more obvious that it applies to everything, rather than just plate solving. That would also mean that setting it manually would make sense for everything too.

cheers,

Robin