Upcoming Feature : New Dark Mode and UI improvements

All the latest news about new features and improvements to SharpCap
Menno555

Re: Upcoming Feature : New Dark Mode and UI improvements

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Robin

First: thanks! :D

Did test a bit and for now only 2 bugs found: the reticule is not constricted to the FOV and the FOV is indistinguishable from the background, see screenshot.

Also these next things but maybe these are just my personal preferences and I have to see how it works under working circumstances: there are no more thin borders visible defining the working area and the sliders in the camera control panels only have a thin line, making it a bit harder to control.
This all on Windows 10 Pro 64bit 21H2

Menno

Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (296.98 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Brilliant, thanks for the continued testing and feedback!

I now have fixes for the custom button issue, the Win7 crash and both of the problems that Menno reported. I will try to put another version out later today with these fixes. Note that on Win7, the new UI will *not* have the Win7 look/feel with rounded buttons, it will look like the Win8/10 version.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

for those interested in further testing (and seeing the bug fixes to the problems reported here), please try

https://d.sharpcap.co.uk/download.html? ... 4.0.8485.0

https://d.sharpcap.co.uk/download.html? ... 0&arch=x64

I think all the problems listed above are fixed in this version. In addition I have tweaked the syntax highlighting colours in the scripting console to work better in dark mode. Note that these colours will not change if you switch between dark and light mode.

cheers,

Robin
procyon12

Post by procyon12 »

Thank you, Robin,

It works now under W7. I made some short tests only, also under W10: seems all o.k.

Some _very_ little things: The green arrows in the picture attached show some remaining white backgrounds (W7). Under W10 they are dark except for the background of the GPS status window.

Am I right that the performance improvements are also true if I switch to the light mode (F12)?

Is there a difference in (battery) power consumption between light and dark mode?

Cheers, Christian
Attachments
ClpBrd2.jpg
ClpBrd2.jpg (281.53 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
Last edited by procyon12 on Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harmonious

Post by Harmonious »

Hi,

You wrote, *Better support for high DPI monitors (and also for systems with a mixture of high DPI and normal DPI monitors). This may require more work to fully enable." May I ask what this means or will mean for? I generally use a 3840x2160 4k HDR10 display and a ZWO 2600 or other cameras with >HD resolution.

Thank you.

-David
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi David,

the current versions of SharpCap will often get scaled up to high DPI, rather than display natively at high dpi. This means that Windows effectively tells SharpCap it is using a 1920x1080 screen, then makes the resulting window bigger by a factor of 2. When this happens you don't get the crisp text that you are used to with an HD display, instead it looks fluffy/blurry.

I'm fairly sure that the new UI will be able to fix this problem (I tested a prototype of this a while back and got it working), but I'm not sure if I have quite covered all the changes required for this in SharpCap yet. Additionally, I think that the image display area should be able to take advantage of high DPI rather than being rescaled too.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Christian,

thanks for the Win7 report - the GPS status window is still using the old way of doing user interface that I am slowly replacing - it will need to be re-written to take advantage of the new night mode, but at least it is not very complicated! I think I have worked out fixes for all the little things - just about to test them.

cheers,

Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Fixes are looking fine so far Robin. Will do a live test this evening ... if the clouds take a slower pace across the North Sea ;)

Menno

Edit: make that fog. Clear for now but thick fog expected :(

Two things in the dark mode:
I use the Manual Wheel option and this is not put in the FITS header. In my case I select and capture with filter SII but in the FITS header the first filter is shown, in my case IR/UV Cut
Also, there is no cursor when typing. Have to guess where to type when adjusting.

manual filter.jpg
manual filter.jpg (21.31 KiB) Viewed 3101 times

Edit of the edit :)
I'm 100% sure about the manual wheel thing. Yet after a third try, it actually did use the right SII filter in the FITS header. And now with the test camera I can't replicate it :? So, don't know what happend, but I'll keep you informed.
JesusRL

Post by JesusRL »

Hi Robin,

Unfortunately I am receiving this error/crash on loading a custom button:

T&R,
Jesus
JesusRL

Post by JesusRL »

Sorry Robin,

I didn't read the content of the error message about bitmap transparency