Saving separate darks instead of one averaged

abmscopes

Saving separate darks instead of one averaged

Post by abmscopes »

I realise that this is probably meant to be a processing-time saving feature of Sharpcap, but is there a way to capture darks separately as individual frames? Processing programs don't seem to like seeing just one dark (or bias, or flat for that matter) frame, averaged or not. DSS thinks you've only added one frame, and Pixinsight needs a minimum of 3 frames. In fact letting the processing program rather than the capture program do the averaging doesn't as far as i can tell, add that much more time to the processing, so I'm not sure of the advantage ? Thanks
zerolatitude

Re: Saving separate darks instead of one averaged

Post by zerolatitude »

Quick comments

1. The SC Dark / Flat Capture is most useful for calibrating on the fly for EAA

2. In Pixinsight, if you use WBPP, you can use the SC dark by adding "master" to the name of the file generated by SC, eg 300s_10c.fit becomes masterdark_300s_10C.fit (I use masterdark and masterflat to use SC generated calibration master files in WBPP). WBPP will then work with that single file for calibration.

3. If you want individual darks (or flats), you can already do that. Capture as usual, with the relevant target name and file type as bias/darks/ flats/dark flats (whichever calibration file you want) from the menu dropdown. Its useful to set the FILETYPE keyword somewhere in the file path/name through File>SharpCap Settings > Filenaming
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

To expand on the above comments.

Where he said capture as usual = use the start capture button at the top left. Set everything to match your light frames but leave the lens cap on and make sure no light leaks inside. Capture 20 to 30 photos and name them darks and you're done.

Figured some peoples idea of capture as usual might be using the live stack.
abmscopes

Post by abmscopes »

Thanks for those responses. I'm starting to take calibration shots more seriously these days, seeing the difference they make. Last night I left the scope (undercover) overnight to capture 50 darks of my most common exposures and gains. Will do this more often now on cloudy nights!