Running Camera Sensor Analysis

A place to post guides, instructions and HOWTO documents on the use of SharpCap and Astrophotography in general
Forum rules
One tutorial per topic please.
Please only post content that you have created in this form.
Tutorials should be either in PDF format as an attachment or written in the first post of the topic. Links to video tutorials you created are also acceptable.
Rockinrod

Running Camera Sensor Analysis

Post by Rockinrod »

I'm trying to do a sensor analysis on my ASI294MC Pro OSC camera...I have it set on RAW16 and max screen size of 4144X2822, for this particular camera that is the max.

I keep getting an error message saying, "Selected Area Too Small. Please Select Larger Area" can't seem to get past this, and I'm already at the Max, unless there is another way to do this. I'm also using an LED flat screen for the light source, and I have it at 65%

Need a bit of assistance with this if you can.

Thanks,

Rod
admin
Site Admin

Re: Running Camera Sensor Analysis

Post by admin »

Hi Rod,

that message means that the selection area, which is used to define which part of the image will be used for the analysis is too small - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Selection%20Area for more information on how to adjust the selection area.

cheers,

Robin
Rockinrod

Post by Rockinrod »

Great, that worked...! Didn't know I had to physically put the square in there. And size it correctly. I have all the camera data now.

Appreciate your help!

Rod
Rockinrod

Post by Rockinrod »

I'm not sure what is good, bad, or mediocre...Does thjis data appear to be normal for this camera?

Rod
Attachments
ASI294MC Pro
ASI294MC Pro
Sensor Analysis.jpg (197.8 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Rod,

you've run the analysis in 8 bit mode (and got typical results for that mode). However, you would normally do deep sky imaging in high bit depth, so the results aren't particularly useful to you. They do show however *why* you do deep sky imaging in high bit depth - the effective read noise values from 10 up to nearly 70 electrons for reasonable gain values would ruin deep sky images of anything but the brightest objects.

Best to re-run the analysis in RAW12/RAW14/RAW16 (whichever your camera offers of those)

cheers,

Robin
Rockinrod

Post by Rockinrod »

Ah okay...I was not aware of this I'll redo it in 16bit I guess.

Thanks,

Rod