Live Stacking and LRGB
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:47 am
Dr. Glover
Please consider this blog post an on-going communication as I problem solve my way into my second year of this hobby.
I have something to report that is going to take several hours of pecking out my observations on the keyboard.
My first year was devoted to understanding my OTA and mount as an imaging train along the lines of the near vertical learning curve of this hobby.
That experience has, "Washed out into a firm grasp of the basics."
Yes, that learning curve included, "Up to and including learning about Seeing and sensor image scale relationships."
To recap and provide a frame of reference:
OTA: William Optics 81mm APO, reduce to f/4.72 and focal length 378mm... Very much a wide field OTA.
NCP: Within the operational limits of NCP alignment of being down in the basement of ~0.59 arc-mins of total error for a sky watcher EQ-R6 under reasonable PHD Seeing.
Observatory: Can get on target within minutes of powering up.
Take away: I had a rough start with the QHY268c, in the interim I switched to a QHY183 mono camera and a LRGB filter set.
More importantly this rough start was also highly influenced by wishful thinking on my part that I had jumped a major gap on the learning
curve of the hobby. Very much, "Not the case!!!"
Everything in SharpCap is running reasonably well since going to the QHY183mono camera.
No more gain and exposure adjustments lagging behind. "That result in my subs not timing out."
So, this recap is, "Essentially to state everything software-wise is ideally up and running and I have very much moved beyond the learning curve basics of the hobby."
With that established background now in-place and given my first-year communications with you about:
"How, I believe your analysis of SNR is 'spot-on' in scientifically being based on the lower read-out noise of back Illuminated CMOS sensors in general
as opposed to the legacies within the hobby that ultimately determine optimal exposure sub lengths and gain level settings."
A major mouthful to say the least.
I am going to call it night and will flow up by jumping right into a Live stacking observation that relates to exposure and gain settings and the speed of my imagining train as I attempt to collect LRGB sensor data.
Sincerely,
Mark
Please consider this blog post an on-going communication as I problem solve my way into my second year of this hobby.
I have something to report that is going to take several hours of pecking out my observations on the keyboard.
My first year was devoted to understanding my OTA and mount as an imaging train along the lines of the near vertical learning curve of this hobby.
That experience has, "Washed out into a firm grasp of the basics."
Yes, that learning curve included, "Up to and including learning about Seeing and sensor image scale relationships."
To recap and provide a frame of reference:
OTA: William Optics 81mm APO, reduce to f/4.72 and focal length 378mm... Very much a wide field OTA.
NCP: Within the operational limits of NCP alignment of being down in the basement of ~0.59 arc-mins of total error for a sky watcher EQ-R6 under reasonable PHD Seeing.
Observatory: Can get on target within minutes of powering up.
Take away: I had a rough start with the QHY268c, in the interim I switched to a QHY183 mono camera and a LRGB filter set.
More importantly this rough start was also highly influenced by wishful thinking on my part that I had jumped a major gap on the learning
curve of the hobby. Very much, "Not the case!!!"
Everything in SharpCap is running reasonably well since going to the QHY183mono camera.
No more gain and exposure adjustments lagging behind. "That result in my subs not timing out."
So, this recap is, "Essentially to state everything software-wise is ideally up and running and I have very much moved beyond the learning curve basics of the hobby."
With that established background now in-place and given my first-year communications with you about:
"How, I believe your analysis of SNR is 'spot-on' in scientifically being based on the lower read-out noise of back Illuminated CMOS sensors in general
as opposed to the legacies within the hobby that ultimately determine optimal exposure sub lengths and gain level settings."
A major mouthful to say the least.
I am going to call it night and will flow up by jumping right into a Live stacking observation that relates to exposure and gain settings and the speed of my imagining train as I attempt to collect LRGB sensor data.
Sincerely,
Mark