out of curiosity

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
zoltrix

out of curiosity

Post by zoltrix »

hello

live stacking need at least 3 stars o even more
I wonder why
Azimut and elevation of each frame are known so it is also the field rotation velocity
the software should be able to calculate in real time the angular rotation between a frame and the next one , given the exposure time
I suppose that this method should be much faster and ,more important, it should work fine even in Bortle 9
Menno555

Re: out of curiosity

Post by Menno555 »

Hi

Your suggestion could work if the captures are all rock solid, no seeing effects, no movement in either DEC and/or RA, an so on. So everything 100% in the exact same place in each capture.
But this isn't the case sadly enough. Seeing can cause a light shift, tracking/guiding is almost never 100%, and so on. So the only way to stack is by detecting and using stars in the capture. This is how must (if not all) stacking software is working as far as I know.

Menno
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Menno is absolutely right. The atmosphere bends light at different angles as stars rise/set. Atmospheric inversion layers can suddenly appear and then dissipate. The machining of your telescope's mount is not perfect which more or less depends on how much money you spend on it. Also, try as you might you can never achieve perfect polar alignment. Your tripod can shift in the soil. Its legs can expand and contract with changes in temperature. All of these effects can cause stars to look like ants crawling in a random pattern in your final image.

EDIT: It sounds like you already have a telescope. I would suggest joining a local astronomy club. Talk to members about your struggles with light pollution. They ought to be able to offer valuable advice that could save you $$$.

Brian
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Hi,

I looked through your past posts. You only mention the size of your telescope. What about your camera? It's important since it determines your field-of-view. Can you please tell us what you have?

Brian