Use of ASTAP in sharpcap?

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
Moonstruck

Use of ASTAP in sharpcap?

Post by Moonstruck »

I anticipate I will eventually be using ASTAP for plate solving, and am wondering whether to access it through sharpcap, or NINA (which I will also install). Does it matter how I access it? What are the advantages of accessing it through sharpcap? Also- if accessed through sharpcap- are there any requirements for other software/drivers? Or, can I just go to the plate solving tab in sharpcap after I install ASTAP, and it will be ready to go?

Note- I will have an EQ6-R-pro mount and Celestron CPC 800 OTA. They are both on order now - just asking so I will be prepared when they come in. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Use of ASTAP in sharpcap?

Post by admin »

Hi,

for best usage of a plate solving application you also need to connect your mount to SharpCap using an appropriate ASCOM driver (and of course have the ASCOM platform). SharpCap should auto-detect Astap and you can use the settings to ensure it is set as your preferred plate solving engine. If you only use 1 telescope then you can set the focal length also, which can speed up plate solving. Make sure your version of Astap is up to date and also use the full version (not the command line version).

As well as simply recentering targets based on plate solving information, you can also use SharpCap's double click to recenter feature to help with target framing - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Pixel% ... 20Recentre

cheers,

Robin