Matching the brightness/ offset value of lights to darks

Somewhere to share your expertise in using SharpCap
timh

Re: Matching the brightness/ offset value of lights to darks

Post by timh »

Thanks Chris,

Good point. Indeed maybe use the pedestal option not only where background sky glow is low but also in the case of shorter, lower SNR and noisier exposures which exhibit proportionally higher scatter?

Tim
ChrisR Oz

Post by ChrisR Oz »

Yes, such as for your DSO “lucky imaging” approach. I will be interested to hear if it helps there.
Cheers, Chris.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, reducer 0.7x, Star Sense, CGX-L mount, Focuser, CPWI; Starlight Xpress AO, OAG and Filter Wheel; ZWO 294MC/294MM Pro and 174MM mini; SharpCap Pro, PHD2, Powermate 2x, Baader Neodymium, Astronomik CLS-CCD, ZWO UV/IR, Duoband filters.
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

Menno555 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:07 pm Hi Tim

Actually, you can add it. If you use the parameter {BlackLevel} in the Manual Filename Templates, this will be added to the name.
It's kinda confusing cause BlackLevel, Offset and Brightness are the same things here...

Menno
Actually as I have been experimenting with Brightness (ZWO 533MC Pro) I would love to add this to my filenames as well and would like to know exactly how to do this in SharpCap Settings>Filenames>???

Maybe somebody could paste an example of their entry, and where it is located, as there are five different templates possible.

This would be such a welcome help.

Randall
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Randall

Here somethings that might help you. This all based on the screenshot you see below as example.
When you click the question mark I circled in green, you will see a short list with all the tagnames and formats. These you can use in the filetemplate to make it as you wish. SharpCap will indicate if it recognizes the right tags/formats or not.
First you have to give SharpCap a place where to store the captures. In my case F:\Captures\SharpCap
Second, check the box for editing filenames manually.

For naming of your captures (stills), the template is the line called Sequence (Stills) (the second green underlined part).
An example on how it will look on your disk, is the line called Sequence (the first green underlined part).

So in the screenshot, the template is:

Code: Select all

{Date:S}\{TargetName}\{Time}\{TargetName}_{Index}_{BlackLevel}
And this gives this on your harddisk (this is pure an example, it says for example PNG at the end but with the actual capturing it will save it as the format you choose under the tab Saving in the Settings.):

Code: Select all

F:\Captures\SharpCap\2023-01-17\M42\21_23_30\M42_00001_25.png

Hope this helps a bit.

Menno
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (277.16 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

Both questions answered perfectly - THANK YOU!!!!