Picking the correct exposure for Deep Sky

A place to post guides, instructions and HOWTO documents on the use of SharpCap and Astrophotography in general
Forum rules
One tutorial per topic please.
Please only post content that you have created in this form.
Tutorials should be either in PDF format as an attachment or written in the first post of the topic. Links to video tutorials you created are also acceptable.
mgutierrez

Re: Picking the correct exposure for Deep Sky

Post by mgutierrez »

if it's 14 bit then everything will be a multiple of 4 and so on.
absolutely! that's the detail I missed! that's obvious! Thanks!

Just one note. Some dslr doesn't scale (multiply) values. I don't know if some dedicated camera behaves the same. How could you sort it out?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

SharpCap normally deals with the image scaling if necessary - for instance it can usually find out the max pixel value from the camera SDK or ASCOM driver and then bitshifts the data to use the full 16 bit range. This is actually done mainly to avoid an enormous number of people asking 'why is my image so dark' :)

cheers,

Robin
mgutierrez

Post by mgutierrez »

great Robin, thanks a lot for the replies! Completely clear :)

Have a nice day.

Miguel
parsec

Post by parsec »

Hi,
I have a question about optimal exposure length. I have SharpCap pro. I have done the sensor analysis and have watched the YouTube lecture about optimal exposure length, gain, etc. I understand that with darker skies the calculated exposure times can be quite lengthy. I ran the exposure calculator plugin in NINA and linked to the SharpCap sensor analysis results. I'm in Bortle 2 (maybe Bortle 1.5) skies so I'm lucky. So the results that I obtain for my system after measuring sky background are:
Lum 841 s
R 2,103 s
G 2,403 s
B 3,364 s
NB 3 nm
Ha 16,823 s
OIII 16,823 s
SII infinity.
What would be some practical subexposure lengths for the various filters. I have been using 300 s or 600 sec subexposures. No issues with tracking or guiding. Plenty of satellites these days with Starlink though.

Sincerely,
Allen
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Hi Allen,

Just curious, what scope do you have? From the numbers shown you could really benefit from a faster scope given your dark skies.

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Allen,

wow - nice dark skies! Given those figures the only thing to do is to take the longest exposures that your mount will reliably cope with. What model camera are you using? If it has high read noise then there may be a benefit to looking at models that have lower read noise (ie going from a CCD with read noise 8e to a CMOS camera with read noise 1.5e would reduce the calculated exposure times by a factor of ~28)

cheers,

Robin
parsec

Post by parsec »

I'm using QHY600 mono with chroma LRGB and 3nm NB filters.
F 7.2
No problems with mount or guiding.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I just had a look at the way the read noise varies for that model (look at the readout noise graph on https://www.qhyccd.com/astronomical-camera-qhy600/)

If you run in either of the 'extended fullwell' modes then the read noise is up in the 5.5e to 7.5e range and doesn't drop much with increased gain. However in the 'High Gain' mode, gain 56 gets a read noise of 1.6e, which may give you significantly reduced recommended exposure times and be more appropriate for the narrowband filters.

cheers,

Robin
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Robin,

Full Well at Gain 56:
21.6ke- using High Gain Mode
40.0ke- using Extended Full Well Mode

Read Noise at Gain 56:
1.7e- using High Gain Mode
7.1e- using Extended Full Well Mode

I absolutely agree! That's a huge improvement. I'd even suggest using High Gain Mode with all filters, not just NB.

EDIT: Do we know what mode Allen used for his exposure analysis?

Brian