Sharpcap can't find Astrotortilla

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
PEM1

Sharpcap can't find Astrotortilla

Post by PEM1 »

I loaded SharpCap onto a new computer along with ASCOM and Astrotortilla, but SharpCap doesn't detect Astrotortilla for plate solving
sharcap platesolve.png
sharcap platesolve.png (59.83 KiB) Viewed 619 times

When I browse to the c:\cygwin directory, there is no bin subdirectory. I tried reinstalling Astrotortilla, with the same result.

Any suggestions?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap can't find Astrotortilla

Post by admin »

Hi,

if Astrotortilla is working for you then *somewhere* on your disk there will be a file called 'solve-field'. That's what SharpCap needs to find, and you can use the 'Enter Manually' option to tell SharpCap where that file is if you find it.

Perhaps the easiest/quickest way to do this is to start a command prompt, change to the c:\ directory in the command prompt and then run

Code: Select all

dir /s solve-field.*
You can see from the screenshot below that this approach found both of the versions I have installed and the solve-field.exe applications that aren't so interesting to us.

cheers,

Robin
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (61.34 KiB) Viewed 608 times
PEM1

Post by PEM1 »

There was no 'solve-field' on the computer. I noticed that the cygwin setup file log has numerous error messages (which I can't interpret).

I realize that this is out of the realm of SharpCap, but I've attached the log.

Thanks, Paul
Attachments
cygwin_setup.log
(6.03 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

were you connected to the internet when installing? It looks like it failed to find/download the required packages to install cygwin (there may be other errors in there too).

cheers,

Robin
PEM1

Post by PEM1 »

yes, I was connected as I was able to download ~10 Gb of data files.

Should I try one of the other plate solving programs?
Rocket_Guy

Post by Rocket_Guy »

This is the same problem I was having about a week or so ago when I tried to install Astrotortilla. I never was able to make it work and finally ended up installing another plate solver.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I would recommend trying either Ansvr or ASPS if Astrotortilla installation is causing problems - the three programs all use the same solving engine, basically just different installers and different ways to access the functionality from the user interface (and of course SharpCap bypasses the UI and goes straight to the engine anyway).

cheers,

Robin