LiveStack unable to Align
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:34 pm
Hi there!
I am a complete beginner. Last night was my first time getting to the Live Stack stage. The problem was that when I tried to start live stacking, I kept getting error messages saying either "not enough stars detected therefore could not align" or just "could not align". I'll share every step I took because I had some uncertainties in earlier steps that may have affected later steps
1. Achieved good focus using multistar-FWHM with exposure of 2s and gain maxed at 400
2. Slewed to target Pinwheel Galaxy.
○ Plate solved but kept getting errors until I increased exposure to 16s and decreased sigma to 15
○ After plate solve succeded with those settings, there was just a very faint smudge in the middle of the screen, so faint I'm not even sure it was really there… so not sure if I successfully got the target in the middle
Did increasing my exposure here affect my focus which was done at a lower exposure?
3. Went to the Brain. Initially did not use ROI. The brain advised exposure 23.2s and gain 200. I clicked "apply" and then everything on my screen went dark, I could only see a couple stars. When the gain was maxed before clicking apply, I saw more stars on the screen… should the brain have advised a higher gain?
4. I stayed with the Brain's recommendations anyway and then went to LiveStack. Initially status said "frame not stacked because less than 3 stars found in the frame image… could not align"
○ I then went to the alignment tab and increased Sensitivity to 96. Then got a message at the top saying "could not align". See screen shot 6 for Alignment tab
○ Tried stretching midline of histogram to left, I don’t think there was any change with this
○ Tried maximizing gain and check off Highlight Detected stars (screenshot 7)- this rendered a tonne of red boxes and some green boxes, but stacking still couldn't align
○ Went to the Filter FWHM tab, saw a bunch of red bars over the limit (screenshot 8). Tried increasing the FWHM limit, no change. Tried removing the limit altogether and no change.
§ Did the image go out of focus because I changed my exposure level to plate solve (step 2) after I had achieved focus initally at a lower exposure (as described in steps 1)?
See screenshot 10 for Filter Brightness tab in live stack
○ See screenshot 11 for Histogram tab in live stack
○ See screenshot 12 for stacking log
○ Then I went back to Focus Assist multi-FWHM tool and saw I had only red bars. I couldn’t achieve focus again so packed up at this point.
6. I'm also just seeing now that in the controls group of Livestack, Raw Frames is set to "save none"- would this affect anything?
7. Another issue that could have caused the alignment problem is that sometimes my tracking button would switch to off, even though I didn’t touch it, and on stellarium my reticle would fall away from the target every few minutes- why did tracking keep switching off? I made sure it was on at sidereal rate as soon as I finished plate solving, is this correct to do?
My scope focal length is 430 mm, f 5.9,
My camera is ZWO ASI183 colour CMOS pixels 2.4um. Pixel scale is 1.15 "/pix.
I live in a light polluted suburb but visibility and seeing were average, and moon was crescent and low
I feel like either the red bars in the fwhm tab and/or the tracking switching off are the causes of this stacking problem. It was difficult to troubleshoot in the middle of the night while half awake. Any advice you can give would be amazing !!
I am a complete beginner. Last night was my first time getting to the Live Stack stage. The problem was that when I tried to start live stacking, I kept getting error messages saying either "not enough stars detected therefore could not align" or just "could not align". I'll share every step I took because I had some uncertainties in earlier steps that may have affected later steps
1. Achieved good focus using multistar-FWHM with exposure of 2s and gain maxed at 400
2. Slewed to target Pinwheel Galaxy.
○ Plate solved but kept getting errors until I increased exposure to 16s and decreased sigma to 15
○ After plate solve succeded with those settings, there was just a very faint smudge in the middle of the screen, so faint I'm not even sure it was really there… so not sure if I successfully got the target in the middle
Did increasing my exposure here affect my focus which was done at a lower exposure?
3. Went to the Brain. Initially did not use ROI. The brain advised exposure 23.2s and gain 200. I clicked "apply" and then everything on my screen went dark, I could only see a couple stars. When the gain was maxed before clicking apply, I saw more stars on the screen… should the brain have advised a higher gain?
4. I stayed with the Brain's recommendations anyway and then went to LiveStack. Initially status said "frame not stacked because less than 3 stars found in the frame image… could not align"
○ I then went to the alignment tab and increased Sensitivity to 96. Then got a message at the top saying "could not align". See screen shot 6 for Alignment tab
○ Tried stretching midline of histogram to left, I don’t think there was any change with this
○ Tried maximizing gain and check off Highlight Detected stars (screenshot 7)- this rendered a tonne of red boxes and some green boxes, but stacking still couldn't align
○ Went to the Filter FWHM tab, saw a bunch of red bars over the limit (screenshot 8). Tried increasing the FWHM limit, no change. Tried removing the limit altogether and no change.
§ Did the image go out of focus because I changed my exposure level to plate solve (step 2) after I had achieved focus initally at a lower exposure (as described in steps 1)?
See screenshot 10 for Filter Brightness tab in live stack
○ See screenshot 11 for Histogram tab in live stack
○ See screenshot 12 for stacking log
○ Then I went back to Focus Assist multi-FWHM tool and saw I had only red bars. I couldn’t achieve focus again so packed up at this point.
6. I'm also just seeing now that in the controls group of Livestack, Raw Frames is set to "save none"- would this affect anything?
7. Another issue that could have caused the alignment problem is that sometimes my tracking button would switch to off, even though I didn’t touch it, and on stellarium my reticle would fall away from the target every few minutes- why did tracking keep switching off? I made sure it was on at sidereal rate as soon as I finished plate solving, is this correct to do?
My scope focal length is 430 mm, f 5.9,
My camera is ZWO ASI183 colour CMOS pixels 2.4um. Pixel scale is 1.15 "/pix.
I live in a light polluted suburb but visibility and seeing were average, and moon was crescent and low
I feel like either the red bars in the fwhm tab and/or the tracking switching off are the causes of this stacking problem. It was difficult to troubleshoot in the middle of the night while half awake. Any advice you can give would be amazing !!