Live stacking issues with Optolong LPro filter

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
admin
Site Admin

Re: Live stacking issues with Optolong LPro filter

Post by admin »

Hi,

Ah, OK.

all I would suggest is that if you have any issues, capture a few frames of both dark and light (5 of each would be enough I think) to a separate folder so we can investigate on clean data.

cheers,

Robin
Cey42

Post by Cey42 »

OK, the next time I am out, I will capture some new light and dark frames. Unfortunately the current forecast does not have any clear nights in the near future.

I was out last night and noticed two things.
1 - At the start of the night the red curve was fine. But as the night got darker, the curve got worse. Eventually being as bad as originally posted. This happened all at 300 gain.
2 - When the red curve was bad, I decided to try the new "Background subtraction" feature. I set it to "Simple Offset" and the red curve was now good.

Not sure if these two pieces of info help or not.

Thanks,
Cey
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

sounds like you lost the red as the night got darker or perhaps clearer. Activating background subtraction will move all the curves to a similar position, but using that as a basis for colour balance is going to give rather arbitrary results.

Overall I don't think there is anything 'bad' about the low red value - it is what it is, a very weak signal. It's just that when there is practically no signal in a channel the standard AWB algorithm is not able to do a sensible job.

cheers,

Robin