Hi,
just to follow up on this, I have taken some time to do testing both of these images and some sample images that I have deliberately blurred in one direction to simulate poor tracking/wind/mount shake.
Using a fairly standard measure of roundness (circularity, defined as 4 * pi * area / perimiter squared), I have not seen much sensitivity of the circularity measurement to how 'non round' the stars are. In fact in some cases smearing the image diagonally by four pixels increases the measured circularity
In contrast to this, FWHM measurements are sensitive to non-round stars being stretched out, with a clear increase in FWHM even just by adding 10% of the brightness of the image with a 1 pixel shift.
So, for now I'm going to put any more work on a roundness filter on hold as it doesn't seem to bring any benefit over the current FWHM filter. If we can collect some samples that show the opposite then I can consider having another look.
cheers,
Robin