dropped frames Altair GPcam290c

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
padders

dropped frames Altair GPcam290c

Post by padders »

Had an issue with a lot of dropped frames last time I could actually image outside, and seems its reproduced here this evening in an indoors test. Trying for 30s full frame FITS running 3.2.6477 on Win 10 PC with 8GB Ram. I actually updated after my last imaging session when I noticed this as I think I saw there was a new Altair SDK incorporated. Its a new camera for me, a modest investment to see how I like the imaging concept. I did get some nice shots but not as many lights and darks as I had hope due to this issue. On the night it seemed to start dropping and then more or less stopped getting new images. noting Altair timeout error. Also saw my CPU was spiking at 80% on some captures. Log enclosed. I deleted a lot of the start up stuff, but have saved it if needed.

Info: 21:20:41.9283430 Thread:#1 SharpCap.ViewModels.SharpCapViewModel+<>c__DisplayClass137_0.<ShowCaptureLengthDialog>b__0(Object sender, FormClosedEventArgs e) :: About to run the capture : LimitType = FrameLimited, LimitCount = 10, LimitTime = 00:00:00 SequenceCount = 1, SequenceInterval = 5
Debug: 21:20:41.9313352 Thread:#1 SharpCap.Base.Utilities.Logger.LogStackTrace(LogLevel level, String msg) :: Run capture on MultiCaptureProvider
at SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.RunCapture()
at SharpCap.Models.Camera.RunCaptureImpl()
at SharpCap.Models.Camera.RunCapture()
at SharpCap.ViewModels.SharpCapViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass137_0.<ShowCaptureLengthDialog>b__0(Object sender, FormClosedEventArgs e)
at SharpCap.UI.WPFStartCaptureWindow.<>c__DisplayClass24_0.<OnFormClosed>b__0()
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
Info: 21:20:41.9323326 Thread:#1 SharpCap.Base.CaptureProviderBase`1.RunCapture() :: Started
Info: 21:20:41.9343280 Thread:#1 SharpCap.Base.FileWriters.FileWriterBase.Initialize(IFileNameProvider fnp, ColourSpaceId colourSpaceId, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 bytesPerPixelElement, Int32 significantBitDepth, Int32 colourPlanes, String DeviceName) :: Initializing FitsFileWriter at 1920x1080x1x16bits, Bayer_RGGB, 2 bytes per PEL for ALTAIRGP290C
Debug: 21:20:41.9353429 Thread:#1 SharpCap.Base.BaseImageProvider.OnStartCapture(IColourSpace colourSpaceControl, Size sz) :: Started
Debug: 21:20:41.9383171 Thread:#1 SharpCap.Base.BaseImageProvider.OnStartCapture(IColourSpace colourSpaceControl, Size sz) :: Ended
Info: 21:20:41.9383171 Thread:#1 SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.SendCaptureEvent(Object sender, CaptureEventArgs e) :: Capture Event : StartCapture
Info: 21:20:41.9383171 Thread:#1 SharpCap.ViewModels.SharpCapViewModel.appModel_OnCaptureEvent(Object sender, CaptureEventArgs e) :: StartCapture event received in UI thread
Debug: 21:20:41.9393133 Thread:Capture Write Thread#3 SharpCap.Base.BaseImageProvider.RunWriteThread() :: Started
Info: 21:20:42.0041402 Thread:#1 SharpCap.Base.CaptureProviderBase`1.RunCapture() :: Ended
Debug: 21:21:11.7480543 Thread:Capture Write Thread#3 SharpCap.Base.FileWriters.TemplatedFilenameProvider.GetFilenameImpl(FrameInfo frameInfo, Boolean createDir) :: Creating directory C:\Users\padde\Desktop\SharpCap Captures\2021-02-20\Capture\21_21_11 for capture files
Info: 21:21:11.7560318 Thread:Capture Write Thread#3 SharpCap.Models.Camera.WriteCaptureSettingsTextAndHistogram(Boolean writeHistogram, String filename, String contents) :: Writing capture settings file to C:\Users\padde\Desktop\SharpCap Captures\2021-02-20\Capture\21_21_11\Capture_00001.CameraSettings.txt
Info: 21:24:11.9432155 Thread:Grab Thread#21 SharpCap.Base.DroppedFrameLogger.Count(DroppedFrameType type, Int32 count) :: Dropped frames : 2 of type AltairTimeout
Info: 21:26:13.8024597 Thread:Grab Thread#21 SharpCap.Base.DroppedFrameLogger.Count(DroppedFrameType type, Int32 count) :: Dropped frames : 4 of type AltairTimeout
admin
Site Admin

Re: dropped frames Altair GPcam290c

Post by admin »

Hi,

the Altair timeout issue means that the cameras didn't deliver a frame to SharpCap when it was expected to (SharpCap waits for the exposure duration plus quite a large allowance – up to 15 seconds for the frame to arrive). When this problem happens, SharpCap can usually recover things by resetting its connection to the camera, but as you noticed this does take time and is not at all ideal.

Usually this sort of problem is caused by USB connectivity issues – have a look at the USB troubleshooting tips (see the link in the orange section at the top of the page) and see if any of those help stop the problem from happening.

Cheers, Robin
padders

Re: dropped frames Altair GPcam290c

Post by padders »

Ok, thanks, will check that out. Had all sorts of issues with the old USB2 ZWO 120 on this scope, one reason I got a newer camera, but anyhow will follow up and let you know, cheers