Problems using ASCOM driver for DSLR

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
rohanpai

Problems using ASCOM driver for DSLR

Post by rohanpai »

A pretty basic one -

I am using my Nikon with ASCOM driver for DSLR to connect to Sharpcap.

I went into Cameras -> Ascom camera drivers for DSLR, updated the info, clicked ok before physically connecting the camera. The software went into hung state and didn't error out. Tried it a few times and was able to replicate the behaviour.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems using ASCOM driver for DSLR

Post by admin »

Hi,

it sounds like the ASCOM driver is getting stuck when connecting to your camera, but it's difficult to be sure.

From the SharpCap side, please make sure you are on the very latest version (http://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/downloads) or even better try the 3.3 beta which has 'Still Mode' - much better suited to DSLR use (https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/sha ... s/3-3-beta).

If that doesn't help at all then your best bet would be to post over in the ASCOM.DSLR thread on CloudyNights to see if they have any ideas - I've had it working with a Canon camera, but have no experience with Nikon.

cheers,

Robin
DocE

Post by DocE »

I am also having problems using Nikon with SharpCap. I downloaded the ASCOM DSLR driver and followed setup instructions. I am able to choose the ASCOM Driver for DSLR from the drop down menu, but when I select Nikon in the Properties section, SharpCap locks up and I have to reboot. digicamControl from GitHub, who publishes the ASCOM driver, works fine with the same camera and cable. I will post elsewhere but just want to check if any others have this problem, and a solution.
Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

all I can suggest is that if you get prompted to submit a bug report as a result of SharpCap freezing (you should get prompted if the whole application is completely unresponsive for about 45 seconds) then please do submit the report - I can then look at the uploaded report and see if there is any information that might explain what is going on.

cheers,

Robin
DocE

Post by DocE »

What kind of "report" should be submitted? Is there a logfile or something else
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

you may see a bug report popup (like the one shown here - https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#How%20 ... %20a%20Bug), or a hang report message (like the one shown below). If you see the hang report then choose 'Report this problem', if it's the other one then use 'Send and Quit'.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (34.78 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
cheers,

Robin