LX mode problems

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Rfi

LX mode problems

Post by Rfi »

I wonder if someone can help? I'm using SharpCap v3.2 with a ZWO034MC camera running through Windows 10.

My problem is that SharpCap frequently refuses to acknowledge a change of exposure when running in LX mode (typically above about 1 second). I can change the exposure via typing in the Exposure Box, or moving the slider, or using quick picks, and SharpCap refuses to execute an exposure. The timing bar at the bottom either continues to go up to its previous value and then return to 0 without exposing, or running past its "end stop" for an indeterminate time until it resets to zero without exposing. Often I can get it to respond by trying each input option repeatedly, and sometimes I cannot. Occasionally, engaging the auto exposure box for a moment or two will "unstick it", but often not.

It's a bit annoying.

SharpCap doesnt crash or anything dramatic, and if you return to modest exposures (less than 1 second) it will start working normally again, until you try and return to longer exposures.

Any suggestions please?
admin
Site Admin

Re: LX mode problems

Post by admin »

Hi,

does it behave fairly well for exposures under 2s and misbehave when the exposure goes above that? The ZWO code in SharpCap's automatically switches from video mode to still mode when the exposure goes above 2s in most cases. I'm wondering if your camera (which is one of the first ones that ZWO produced) doesn't really support still mode properly? We certainly previously had problems with first-generation 120MM/MC cameras not working in still mode when running in the higher bit depth. Maybe we need to add the 034C to the compatibility list?

Cheers, Robin
Rfi

Post by Rfi »

Hi Robin,

Yes, you're quite correct. Problems only occur at exposures greater than around 1 second.

I tend to do all my captures in png mode.

What you're saying suggests there's no workaround?

R.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think I can change the code to stop this camera from going into still imaging mode and always stay in video mode. This should still allow longer exposures, but the camera may take more time to respond to changes in exposure if for example you change the exposure halfway through an exposure.

I will try putting this tweak into the next update to SharpCap 3.3.

Cheers, Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

just to confirm - what colour space are you running the camera in? RAW8? RAW16? Does it break in the same way in both?

cheers,

Robin
Rfi

Post by Rfi »

Just to confirm.

I rarely, if ever, use avi mode, I always use png still mode. I find it easier to select which frames I wish to process this way.

And I use RGB24 mode, never RAW8 RAW16 nor MONO, so I am unable to comment on their behaviour.

If you let me know when any modified code becomes available, then I can test it out.

Many thanks, R.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

It will be in the next update SharpCap 3.3 beta after today – have a look at the beta downloads page every now and then : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/sha ... s/3-3-beta (most likely in about a week or so - I put out a release yesterday).

Cheers, Robin
Rfi

Post by Rfi »

Cheers Robin,

I'll do that and post a response.

R.
Rfi

Post by Rfi »

Hi Robin,

I'm testing SharpCapInstall-3.3.7313.0-64bit.exe regarding the ZWO034MC problem discussed earlier. This version seems more stable, but it has some issues.

On the PLUS side: exposures over 0.5 seconds now engage more readily

On the minus side: it usually takes 3 or 4 frames to "settle down" after an exposure time alteration
: the window at bottom left reporting "Capturing:" always returns "last frame = 0.0s" even if it has exposed correctly
: at maximum exposure (60 seconds) the time over-runs to usually about 80 seconds and the exposure is not captured at all

I hope this feedback is of help?

R.
Rfi

Post by Rfi »

Hi Robin,

Postscript:

If one changes the exposure time using the SLIDER rather than typing the number in or using Quick Picks, the response of the software to the item:

": at maximum exposure (60 seconds) the time over-runs..."

is more reliable. After a few attempts it will usually capture frames even at times near to 60 seconds.

However, I've also noticed that the problem of "not capturing at all" also applies to most exposures in excess of about 8 seconds.

R.