Accessing MGEN-3 in Sharpcap 3.3 and dithering

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
Moorefam

Re: Accessing MGEN-3 in Sharpcap 3.3 and dithering

Post by Moorefam »

Robin,
Well done the dithering in MGEN 3 is now randomized.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for checking - excellent news :)

cheers,

Robin
Moorefam

Post by Moorefam »

Robin,
In my last post I reported that the random dithering was now working in MGEN3. Unfortunately I was mistaken so I apologise. I had the sub times all mixed up and didn't realize. Nothing has changed and dithering is a slightly non linear straight line so each image is moving diagonally away from the previous one. I tried dithering every other step but that did not work either. This means that the final image, especially if taking a lot of 1 min subs, is quite offset in position from the initial image. This is obviously quite an issue.
I have also noticed an elongation of stars in the dithering direction and I am just wondering if dithering is occurring within the sub and not after the frame has ended? I haven't noticed any delay from the end of 1 sub to the start of another. If I turn off dithering in MGEN3 will that stop all dithering? What is the min dithering that is useful? I have a 1000mm Newtonian. I suppose if I make dithering really large that will make it obvious. I will try and test.

Also as a separate issue It is also a problem that as I monitor my kit from upstairs I am unable to see what MGEN3 is doing and this often catches me out. It would really help to be able to see the screen remotely and preferably be able to control its function. The problem is that the App doesn't work even with my new laptop. If it did then the dithering in MGEN works fine, but of course would not be synchronized with Sharpcap image timings. Please help if you can.
As an aside, a number of frustrating glitches I had with Sharpcap have not disappeared with a new much faster laptop.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

ok, thanks for the report - I will dig into the dithering with MGEN to try to work out what is going on with the movements. Can you confirm what firmware version your MGEN has? That could play a part...

For the elongation issue, please make sure you have the latest SharpCap as there have been fixes fairly recently to help make sure dither frames do not end up in the stack. Also you could consider setting a larger 'minimum settle time' in the guiding settings - this should ensure that the next frame does not start while the mount is still settling into place after the dither operation.

One of the things on my to-do list is an update to the MGEN API to a new version which will allow multiple applications to talk to the MGEN at once. I think this would allow other software to show the MGEN screen while SharpCap controls the dithering.

cheers,

Robin
Moorefam

Post by Moorefam »

Robin,
I have the latest firmware v1.0.0.36 and 1-20-1. I have Sharpcap v4.0.8564.0 of 100122. I used min settle time of 5 secs settle threshold 2 pixels whatever that means and max dither steps of 10 pixels.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

OK, had another dig through today and found at least one thing I missed - the MGEN cannot accept a number bigger than 99 for the interval between dithering (in terms of its frames, I think). I was trying to set a larger number, which was a) being ignored and b) meant that the next time when I read back the settings the code was thinking it needed to apply the SharpCap settings again, because the larger number had not been saved by the MGEN.

I am going to change that to 99 and we can see if that helps at all.

cheers,

Robin
Moorefam

Post by Moorefam »

Robin,
I have changed the dithering step size a lot in Sharpcap and even on the min 1 pixel step and 0 in MGEN3 the drizzle step change stays the same, with the same diagonal progression.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

hold on for next week's update and see if that has any improvement. I can see on the display of my MGEN that when I send the dither step size it updates on the dithering settings page, so I *hope* that the MGEN respects that ... The interval also updates to 99 and the checkbox for dithering comes on.

I am a little worried that the documentation says that you should avoid dithering from the API when 'AutoExposure' is turned on - I presume that means auto dithering, but it is unclear. Also if I turn auto dithering off in the settings then triggering the dither manually fails, so the best option I have is to set the longest possible dither interval and leave auto dithering on.

cheers,

Robin
Moorefam

Post by Moorefam »

Robin,
I have downloaded the latest MGEN APP, with the latest Sharpcap also downloaded again, just now, with the latest FTDI drivers.
MGEN APP does not work as when I try and access MGEN camera in Sharpcap it fails to load with a long technical failure reason. It hasn't worked for ages anyway but I thought I would try it again.
I cannot see any evidence of Sharpcap dithering changing when I change dithering steps size. I tried changing dithering step size in MGEN and the interval of how many subs before it dithered and I cannot see any change. Dithering is always in the same direction by the same amount every sub no matter what I do. I have looked at MGEN dithering page when changing dithering interval in Sharpcap and it just stays at what I set it. The only thing that seems to work in the MGEN button in Sharpcap guiding i.e. it allows me to set it but that is it. I am very keen to see dithering properly as I like Sharpcap especially with the new laptop.
Is there anything else you want me to try?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

if you are getting weird errors when selecting MGEN.App then you are probably using the 64 bit version of SharpCap. For some reason there is no 64 bit MGEN.App version, so you have to use the 32 bit version of SharpCap.

As far as I can work out SharpCap is sending the same messages to the MGEN device as MGEN.App when it comes to dithering, so it would be interesting to hear what MGEN.App does if you try it.

cheers,

Robin