Accessing MGEN-3 in Sharpcap 3.3 and dithering

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
Moorefam

Re: Accessing MGEN-3 in Sharpcap 3.3 and dithering

Post by Moorefam »

Robin,
When I tried the 64 bit version not accessing MGEN APP and tried dithering it told me once again that it could not access MGEN or something similar At least it is consistent.
Moorefam

Post by Moorefam »

Robin,
Since you told me about downloading and installing the 2 dll files MGEN3 is now appearing and working in a virtual window on my laptop with dithering using Sharpcap 32 bit and it is dithering for the first time.
There is however a new problem. It looks like a different ZWO driver is now being used for the camera via MGEN that has a max gain of 100. The camera goes up to 650. This means that at that sort of gain auto focussing doesn't work, at say 1 sec exposure as there are too few stars. In any case I go to higher gain with narrowband imaging, usually 250. I also cannot set the white balance the same as previously as red and blue offsets are not available.

Here is a weird one with using 32 bit version with MGEN. I set 180 s subs correctly but it produced 16 * 51.32 s subs then started doing 180 sec subs. I didn't change a thing. 180 secs exposure is still set.
In camera settings txt file 51.32 secs are set for the early ones then it changes to 180 secs.

I have noticed a weird thing before rather like this. In the 64 bit version I set say 60 secs exp and then it changes to something else, not even an integer in the subs exp and I have to set exposure again. It only happens at the start of imaging. It is possible I have not always pressed return after setting exp but that would not explain the non integer exp setting. I had better check the exp time on the bottom of the Sharpcap window to make sure that elapsed exp time and time remaining adds up to exp set time.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

so I think that the limit to the gain is probably coming from the ZWO ASCOM driver, which is what you end up using to control the camera if you use MGEN.APP. The limitations on the camera via ASCOM are set by ZWO, and this is one reason that we normally recommend using the direct method of running ZWO cameras rather than the ASCOM option if possible. Of course, that would then mean not having MGEN.APP and no 'on screen' virtual MGEN UI - that's a difficult position that most people don't have to worry about.

I'm not sure about the 51.32s thing - not seen anything like that before. Is it possible that you are using SharpCap's capture profiles to load/save camera settings and have saved that odd exposure value in one capture profile in the past?

cheers,

Robin