Dual Screen Mode Problem

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
GaryS

Dual Screen Mode Problem

Post by GaryS »

Hi
I really like the dual screen capability but I'm finding that the functionality is very spotty and much of the time it doesn't work correctly. Each of the scenarios has happened frequently:

1. Sometimes when I have the second screen connected to my laptop, SC doesn't display the icon allowing me to select dual screen mode.

2. Sometimes it displays the icon and but doesn't properly set itself up into dual screen mode when I select the icon.

3. Sometimes it works fine although the arrangement of the controls on the main screen seems quite jumbled and I can't find a way to adjust the 'boxes' so they have a convenient arrangement. Is there some way to arrange the controls for consistent ease of use.....or just to make it less confusing in appearance?

I'd actually be pleased if it just worked every time regardless of the jumbled appearance. Is there some setting somewhere that I need to know about? I've assumed that whenever I have the second screen attached, I'd be given the icon and it would work but it doesn't seem to be reliable. Any ideas to fix this?

Thank You!
Gary
admin
Site Admin

Re: Dual Screen Mode Problem

Post by admin »

Hi Gary,

this isn't something that I have seen a problem with before, but I can see some things that might narrow down the possible causes for it.

First, check that your second screen is always in 'extend my desktop' mode rather than 'mirror my main screen'. In mirror mode, there are effectively two copies of the same screen, and SharpCap knows that and won't offer the ability to use the two screen option.

Secondly, see if there is any pattern depending on whether the second displays there before you start SharpCap as opposed to it being added after you've started SharpCap. I usually work with two desktop monitors so the second display is always there, so maybe that is part of the problem.

Thirdly, there is a hotkey - CTRL+F12 - which toggles the two monitor mode on and off. Maybe that will work even if the icon in the toolbar isn't enabled – it would certainly be worth a try.

On the subject of the arrangement of the controls – I guess your talking about how the live stacking controls take over the main screen - this should be fairly consistent providing the size of the SharpCap window in the main screen is the same every time. If that's not happening then perhaps if you could grab a couple of screenshot showing the various different layouts that you get it might help you work out what's going on.

Cheers, Robin