Plate solve failed, only one star found

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Luke Spacehopper

Plate solve failed, only one star found

Post by Luke Spacehopper »

Hi,

I start plate solving with an image I took a while ago, I wait for ages with no success, and have to cancel, then this error is displayed,

The image solves fine in astrometry.net fine, and within ASPS too, using the pixel value and focal length derived from the astrometry.net results.

I've reduced the sigma value to 5 with no success.

I've checked the log and can't really see what's going wrong.

I've also been through this forum and can't see a definitive answer, although one regarding a possible conflict with antivirus is a little concerning.

Any ideas?

Thanks
LS
chongo228

Re: Plate solve failed, only one star found

Post by chongo228 »

Luke Spacehopper wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:46 pm Hi,

I start plate solving with an image I took a while ago, I wait for ages with no success, and have to cancel, then this error is displayed,

Thanks
LS
I think you forgot to write the error message displayed.

To be clear it works in ASPS by itself but not when ASPS is run through SC?
Luke Spacehopper

Hi,

Sorry, the error message was the title of my post! That is, only one star found.

Yes, the image solves fine in ASPS and Astrometry.net but not Sharpcap.

There are plenty of stars in the image so clearly something isn't working or set up correctly.

I've used APT a lot with Plate solve 2 which works well, but I'd like to try SC Pro for polar alignment, and for that I need plate solving to work, and it doesn't support Plate solve 2.

I might try Astrotortilla instead, unless there's a quick fix for the ASPS problem?
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Luke Spacehopper wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:26 am I'd like to try SC Pro for polar alignment, and for that I need plate solving to work, and it doesn't support Plate solve 2.
No need for an external plate solving tool for PA. SC has its own internal plate solving algorithm tool for polar alignment as long as you are within 5 degrees of the pole
Last edited by umasscrew39 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luke Spacehopper

Ah, I did not know that!

From this video the implication was that it was plate solving, but perhaps the reason it gives the 'ideal' specs for a guide scope is that, as you say, it's using a built-in algorithm that is specifically designed for guidescopes in terms of focal length etc: https://youtu.be/391BNEr5TIA?t=320

Thanks, I just need some half-decent weather to give it a try.

Would still be great to get plate solving to work though. Another time maybe.
Luke Spacehopper

Just thought I'd post that I solved this (slight pun intended).

I realised that I'd been testing with images that I'd binned in APT, which also explains why I was getting weird figures for pixel depth and focal length from ASPS. Testing with the proper, raw images works.

All good. :)