Live Stacking and pixel values
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:15 pm
Hello!
I have few questions about FITS files that contain the result of Live Stacking using SharpCap Pro v3.2.6346, 64bit version.
My procedure is following when doing photometry of bright stars:
- ZWO ASI183MM Pro gain is set to 0 and binning is 1x1, output file type is FITS
- In SharpCap settings, I have selected "Save 10/12/14 bit images in FITS files without scaling to 16 bit".
- Live Stack has short exposure times (below 1 s) and I pre-process all frames on fly by dark frame
- stacking algorithm is "Default", no alignment or any enhancements are used
- when enough frames are collected (I'm looking after specific total exposure time), I hit Pause
- then I select Save as Raw (32 Bit stack) and live stack gets stored on disk
Because exposures are so short, there is barely any dark signal or significant signal from sky and dark-subtracted frames should have background close to 0. Just for an example, let's assume that background level after dark subtraction is 10 ADU because of sky background. When I stack 100 frames, the expected background level would be 1000.
When I take single frame in FITS format, that is indeed the case (although I haven't confirmed if max pixel value is still 12 bit or not), I'm getting a very low background signal in saved frames.
However, in the case of Live Stacking instead of expected background ~1000, my stack shows values around tens (if occasionally not hundreds) of millions.
I have tried to find out what conversions take place but so far I haven't succeeded. Could anyone please explain those conversions that take place.. maybe in the form of a receipt how final values are created from raw ADUs?
With best wishes,
Tõnis
I have few questions about FITS files that contain the result of Live Stacking using SharpCap Pro v3.2.6346, 64bit version.
My procedure is following when doing photometry of bright stars:
- ZWO ASI183MM Pro gain is set to 0 and binning is 1x1, output file type is FITS
- In SharpCap settings, I have selected "Save 10/12/14 bit images in FITS files without scaling to 16 bit".
- Live Stack has short exposure times (below 1 s) and I pre-process all frames on fly by dark frame
- stacking algorithm is "Default", no alignment or any enhancements are used
- when enough frames are collected (I'm looking after specific total exposure time), I hit Pause
- then I select Save as Raw (32 Bit stack) and live stack gets stored on disk
Because exposures are so short, there is barely any dark signal or significant signal from sky and dark-subtracted frames should have background close to 0. Just for an example, let's assume that background level after dark subtraction is 10 ADU because of sky background. When I stack 100 frames, the expected background level would be 1000.
When I take single frame in FITS format, that is indeed the case (although I haven't confirmed if max pixel value is still 12 bit or not), I'm getting a very low background signal in saved frames.
However, in the case of Live Stacking instead of expected background ~1000, my stack shows values around tens (if occasionally not hundreds) of millions.
I have tried to find out what conversions take place but so far I haven't succeeded. Could anyone please explain those conversions that take place.. maybe in the form of a receipt how final values are created from raw ADUs?
With best wishes,
Tõnis