Images with QHY Cameras

umasscrew39

Images with QHY Cameras

Post by umasscrew39 »

Has anyone gotten great images with QHY cameras? I ask because I am waiting for spacers to connect my new full-frame QHY128C and I have been reading a lot of issues with QHY cameras using SC. Most images seem to be captured using SGPro. I connected my new camera to SC and the gain scale is odd vs. SGPro. I have discussed this with Robin on another post and plan on doing a sensor analysis once I get the spacers to adjust my backfocus. However, I may simply return this camera and go back to ZWO (I already have a 1600 and 533) if folks tell me their QHY cameras struggle with SC.

Bruce
BlackWikkett

Re: Images with QHY Cameras

Post by BlackWikkett »

Can't speak much about QHY as I only have the Polemaster from them. This has worked flawlessly with their software. I've upgraded it once and left it at that since I'm able to PA within 3 min usually. From anecdotal evidence online and speaking to owners of various QHY cameras. It seems the hardware is fine but their drivers and software have had many issues. This seems to affect their SDK more than ASCOM. I believe SGP primarily uses ASCOM to communicate with hardware so you'll see less issues here. SC can also use ASCOM to communicate with QHY but you'll then have to dig through multiple layers of menus to get to controls that are accessible right from SC user interface that are available when you connect hardware via SDK. If you look through the SC download page and read through changes you'll find many QHY fixes and additions. I'm team red all the way (ZWO) and have found the drivers and software to be very stable and robust.

-Chris

edit - I'm using SDK interchangeably with native driver that the SDK facilatates
umasscrew39

Re: Images with QHY Cameras

Post by umasscrew39 »

yes- I have used QHY Polemaster for years with no problem but even use SC for that now. I connected to SGPro with no issue via ASCOM but SC has issues even via the ASCOM driver. In fact, you get a warning message about using the QHY128C via ASCOM through SC as all features are lost except gain and offset. You cannot even get RAW16 images- only Mono. SC is fine to connect to with the QHY128C native driver but the gain scale is odd and Robin cannot understand it either. Nobody on their forum will answer my question. Getting a bad feeling about this camera and thinking of returning it.