Newbie: Dark, Flat, Live Stack, raws, and glows

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Tblog

Newbie: Dark, Flat, Live Stack, raws, and glows

Post by Tblog »

Does SCp apply dark and flat to the saved rawframes while live stacking? (Of course I have built and linked to a dark and flat images.)
Does SCp apply dark and flat applied to the saved frames during a non-stacked general capture?
That is, if I process/stack the rawframes in another program, do I have re-apply the dark/flat?
Is a dark/flat master built with Sharpcap usable in another program, say PixInsight? Or should I simply capture ~20 frames and build the master dark in PI?

Also, some of my pictures seem to have a glow radiating out from the right side - yet the "correct" dark/flats were applied during stacking. It is not consistent (longer exposures/higher gains?), though. Should I see some indication of this glow in darks?

I am using a zwo 183MC pro, cooled to -20c.
Any insight appreciated.
Good seeing in 2020...
Attachments
Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (5).png (228.51 KiB) Viewed 790 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Newbie: Dark, Flat, Live Stack, raws, and glows

Post by admin »

Hi,
Does SCp apply dark and flat to the saved rawframes while live stacking? (Of course I have built and linked to a dark and flat images.)
No, the raw frames saved during live stacking are completely unprocessed.
Does SCp apply dark and flat applied to the saved frames during a non-stacked general capture?
Yes, when using the dark and flat tools during general capture (and the banding suppression tool), the changes made to the image by these tools affects the saved images.

The starburst glow that you see on the right-hand side of your image is typical of amp glow. You should see it in the dark frames that you capture at the same gain levels and exposure times. The amp glow does not respond to temperature in the same way that the main dark noise component of a dark frame does, so it is important to capture the darks and the lights at the same temperature at all possible. I have found that pixinsight for some reason has problems subtracting this glow if the option to 'optimise dark subtraction' is ticked (I think that's the name of it). And selecting that option when running the dark subtraction seems to allow this glow to be removed correctly.

Hope this helps, Robin