show mouse cursor coordinates in status bar

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
freestar8n

show mouse cursor coordinates in status bar

Post by freestar8n »

Hi-

Many imaging tools show the mouse cursor x,y coordinates in the status bar - and I don't see a way to do this in SharpCap.

If there is a way to do this already I couldn't find it.

Even better would be to be able to click on a star and have it tracked and show its changing coordinates. It doesn't have to be perfect or deal with faint stars, or deal with crowded fields.

Thanks,
Frank
admin
Site Admin

Re: show mouse cursor coordinates in status bar

Post by admin »

Hi,

Can you explain what you are trying to achieve with this information? I'm already rather short of space in the status bar, so it would be difficult to add any more information there which means I'm trying to understand the goal here to see if there is another way of approaching the problem.

Cheers, Robin
freestar8n

Post by freestar8n »

Hi. Hmm - for me the status bar in 3.2 is fairly empty. I just want to see the x,y coordinates of the mouse as I move it around the screen. This is a fairly standard feature in imaging apps - and lets me know the x,y location of different objects in the scene, such as stars, as I point at them with the mouse.

A more advanced feature would be to track the x,y location of a star and follow it around over time - but just knowing the x,y location of the mouse cursor would be useful by itself.

Frank
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Depending on the type of camera that you have more information appears in the status bar including temperature status if you have a cooled camera, so it can fill up quite quickly. I wonder if a cursor mode might be a better idea (click a button on the toolbar to enable it and then a crosshair would follow your mouse on screen showing info like pixel brightness and coordinates). I will consider that.

Cheers, Robin
freestar8n

Post by freestar8n »

Thank you. Yes I was using non cooled asi 290. Photoshop uses a similar separate dialog to show x,y and other info at the cursor location. That would be fine.

Frank
freestar8n

Post by freestar8n »

Is this available in recent updates? I don't see it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

it's not going to be in SharpCap 3.2, but there will be a feature to allow this in SharpCap 3.3 – away to read off both the coordinates and the pixel values.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (85.98 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
Cheers, Robin
freestar8n

Post by freestar8n »

Great - thank you!

Frank