Page 3 of 9
Re: New Feature : Stellar Colour Calibration for Live Stacking
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2025 1:58 pm
by admin
Hi George,
thanks for sorting out the sharing of the images - I can see those now and clearly see the purple colour cast due to lack of green. In theory the idea of 'saving' the colour balance from an unfiltered image should work I think (at least on a per-camera basis, and as long as the other colour balance controls on the camera are not adjusted).
I still quite like the idea of having the ability to correct for the filters built in - in theory what you need is the data for the sensitivity of the camera and the band pass data for the filter to let you calculate the amount the filter cuts out in each colour channel. I have an Altair quad band filter that I use sometimes, so I will initially try to work out the correction values for that manually and see how those values work if I apply them over the top of the PCC calculations - that will at least let me see if the idea works or not
cheers,
Robin
Re: New Feature : Stellar Colour Calibration for Live Stacking
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2025 4:55 pm
by Gfischer
Robin,
Looking forward to seeing your new ideas on pcc and filters. If you need data from my setup or a test subject let me know.
Re: New Feature : Stellar Colour Calibration for Live Stacking
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2025 5:24 pm
by MarMax
Robin,
Thank you for your reply in the Background Subtraction topic on Cloudy Nights
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/9620 ... p=14220541
Hopefully it's OK to link this discussion. It allows me to easily hop back and forth.
Re: New Feature : Stellar Colour Calibration for Live Stacking
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2025 12:22 am
by MarMax
I did have a couple of crashes using colour calibration with 4.1.13447 on 7/18 and 7/19. I should have downloaded 4.1.13484 but did not check for the new drop. It's possible you've already fixed the issue. The first crash did automatically send a report but the second did not.
I'm really liking this tool now and getting the hang of it. Thank you!!
Re: New Feature : Stellar Colour Calibration for Live Stacking
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2025 12:33 pm
by admin
Hi,
glad to hear that the results are good for you
I have checked the uploaded bug reports and can't find any that seem to match your description - the only live stacking one with that version on the 18th or 19th was using the test camera, so seems unlikely to be that. I have fixed a couple of bugs in the later 13484 version and a couple more fixed since then but not released yet. If you have a moment to dig out the logs of one or both of the crashes, feel free to post them here and I will check to see if it is a problem I have already dealt with.
cheers,
Robin
Re: New Feature : Stellar Colour Calibration for Live Stacking
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2025 4:13 pm
by MarMax
Robin,
Here you go with the logs. I just zipped them all since I'm not sure which is which.
Mike
Re: New Feature : Stellar Colour Calibration for Live Stacking
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2025 8:52 pm
by admin
Hi Mike,
thanks for that - one of them does end with a crash due to an out of memory error. On your side, I would suggest increasing the 'Live Stacking and Display' memory slider in the SharpCap memory settings to at least 3Gb (3076Mb) - that should eliminate the error or at least make it much less likely.
I will check to see if there is a memory leak in the auto calibration code - that could be the cause (making the crash more likely the more times you have calibrated).
cheers,
Robin
Re: New Feature : Stellar Colour Calibration for Live Stacking
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2025 11:24 pm
by MarMax
Robin,
Thanks for the memory reminder. For some reason it was reset to the minimum (1Gb). I have 32 Gb of physical memory and usually up the live stacking and display to 6 Gb. This is another parameter for my cheat sheet so I remember to check it occasionally. Same goes with camera settings which for some reason can re-open differently than how they were set when SharpCap was closed. It's usually the "Auto" settings that get me with cameras. I never use Auto for anything and sometimes forget to check until I see things going sideways.
Mike
Re: New Feature : Stellar Colour Calibration for Live Stacking
Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2025 12:51 pm
by admin
Hi Mike,
normally camera settings will restore (if you have that option turned on), but there is a subtlety... If there is an error during/after the restore of the settings, SharpCap will then not try to restore the settings next time around. The theory is that if you somehow have managed to choose settings that cause your camera to fail, the last thing you want is for SharpCap to keep restoring those bad settings time and time again
cheers,
Robin
Re: New Feature : Stellar Colour Calibration for Live Stacking
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2025 2:57 am
by RMSQueenMary
I would like to try that feature.
