First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17386
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:52 pm
Location: Vale of the White Horse, UK
Contact:

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

#11

Post by admin »

Gfischer wrote: Sat May 09, 2026 6:04 am Robin,
I found I had the color level high at right in histogram. When center the enhance button works great.
Hi,

yes, that makes sense - you had maybe been using the saturation control on the right to bring back a bit of colour for the old stacking (where it can look quite washed out, particularly stars). With the new colour enhanced stacking, the extra saturation would just be too much. Maybe I could rig something up so that on the first use of the enhance colour option, the saturation gets put down to 1.0?

You are quite right about the calibration button - it's just a more convenient way to access the feature without jumping tabs. I will have a play with the zoom levels - perhaps the zoom can be smaller when 'log' mode is enabled?

cheers,

Robin
Gfischer
Posts: 307
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:20 pm

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

#12

Post by Gfischer »

Sounds good Robin. It’s really great doing a 30min sequence and not having to reset stretch. Great job I really appreciate it
celkins
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:58 pm

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

#13

Post by celkins »

admin wrote: Fri May 08, 2026 1:14 pm Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone *not* called Carlo is trying out the new version :D

Code: Select all

[SNIP]
Robin
Since the public-beta, the only thing I’ve seen in the sky would make pretty passable mono-flats… grey flats ☹️😊
Gfischer
Posts: 307
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:20 pm

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

#14

Post by Gfischer »

Robin,
Another night of EAA. The auto histogram tracking is working great for the stretch. The color consistently gets greener as stack builds. Because I am using a sequence with star based color activated every 2 min color stays as well. (Addition idea?). I noticed the check box for histogram tracking turns off when restarting program. I used the new box in sequencer to activate ui great help sometimes I would like to change zoom. I immediately turn off after zooming. Don’t know if it might help with people accidentally messing something up, maybe a timer that turns off ui activity after a set time. Really impressed with this new version
Thanks for all your work
davemartin88
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:43 pm

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

#15

Post by davemartin88 »

Used 4.2 for first time last night, liked the changes to the histogram. Not sure the Arcsinh will be helpful to me but need to learn more about it. The color calibration worked well and the automatic tweaks to the histogram worked well over the course of 20-30 minute live stacks.

Did have one issue, paused a live stack and tried ot open the Muti star FWHM window to refocus, got a window saying there was an error, Sharpcap was going to close and gave option to send a bug report I think. Sent the report but SharpCap didn't close but live stack window was now labeled as MultiStar FWHM but still showing the live stack options. Closed the window and restarted Sharpcap. Worked well until I tried to pause and open the focus tool again, never opened but no dialogue box or anything this time. I'll try to recreate again next time I'm active but hopefully the report will give some info.

Thanks for a great tool!
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17386
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:52 pm
Location: Vale of the White Horse, UK
Contact:

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

#16

Post by admin »

Gfischer wrote: Sun May 10, 2026 5:58 am I used the new box in sequencer to activate ui great help sometimes I would like to change zoom. I immediately turn off after zooming. Don’t know if it might help with people accidentally messing something up, maybe a timer that turns off ui activity after a set time.
I'm not sure that I really understand what you mean by this bit of your post - can you explain further please? I've made a note of the histogram tracking not remembering its setting. Quite often I leave things to reset each time until I am confident that they are doing a good job under most circumstances - that avoids a situation where someone turns on a new feature and then it stays on even if it is causing rather than solving problems.

I have found the bug report for Dave's crash and it looks like something that I should be able to resolve for the next update - perhaps related to changes I made to allow the window layout of SharpCap to be reset to the default.

cheers,

Robin
Gfischer
Posts: 307
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:20 pm

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

#17

Post by Gfischer »

Robin
Sorry I wasn’t clear about idea. As you have warned using certain things in the ui while in sequence can cause crashes in sc. when I turn on ui switch while I’m running sequence I perform one or two functions. I then relock the ui button to avoid accidental problems.
If the button you added in the sequence window started a limited time period to use ui users might avoid accidental crashes.
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17386
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:52 pm
Location: Vale of the White Horse, UK
Contact:

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

#18

Post by admin »

Hi,

OK, now I get it :)

I think it's probably OK to leave it unlocked - you are probably unlikely to crash SharpCap by tinkering while a sequence is running (you may 'break' your sequence so that it doesn't do what it is supposed to, or errors out, but you've accepted that risk by unlocking). I think that if it locked itself again, the only people who would really notice are those who want to carry on making manual adjustments, and to them it would be an annoyance...

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion - keep them coming and keep poking around with the new version to see what you like, what needs improvement and what breaks ;)

cheers,

Robin
Gfischer
Posts: 307
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:20 pm

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

#19

Post by Gfischer »

Robin,
I was thinking of another change in 4.1 but didn’t mention it. The option in live stacking to remove last frame has really been a great tool. Sometimes I’m not watching the view when a plane flies through. Then the next frame is stacked and you can’t remove bad frame.
Could sc save maybe last 4 frames and by multiple presses of the remove key take out up to last 4 frames? Ie(2 presses on remove takes out last 2 frames)
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17386
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:52 pm
Location: Vale of the White Horse, UK
Contact:

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

#20

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think anything like that would depend on saving of the raw, unprocessed frames during the stack. With the raw frames saved to FITS or whatever, SharpCap could go back and reload them in theory giving more than one level of undo. Beyond that, there is a need to remember the calculated alignment result (rotation,offset, etc) for each frame, but that is fairly minor. There is also a minor interaction with sigma clipped stacks, where the undo is slightly approximate (the algorithm can't quite use the exact same criterion for whether a pixel is ignored due to the sigma clipping on the unstack that it used on the stack, so in theory a small number of pixels may be 'unstacked' when they were sigma clipped during the stacking of the frame or vice versa).

I will think about this one for a bit to see if anything else might cause issues - on relatively short frames (say less than 30s) the interaction time you have before the next frame arrives might be a problem...

cheers,

Robin
Post Reply