Page 2 of 22

Re: New Feature : Planetary Live Stacking

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:47 pm
by kaymann
Borodog wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:45 pm Video of the tool in action last night in mediocre seeing:

https://youtu.be/7tPfolaIVGU

Again, the interface has already changed a little bit from the prototype you see here.
Thanks for the preview!

Re: New Feature : Planetary Live Stacking

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:00 pm
by admin
PeterC65 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:45 pm
admin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:34 pm Did you turn up some of the levels in the wavelet sharpening section? They start at default (no sharpening).
I've tried moving the sharpening controls and they have no effect on what I see. I set them over to the right which should completely mess up the image but nothing happened. It looks like I'm just seeing the original SER file but with disc stabilisation. I'm downloading the sample file that Borodog posted but that will take a while with my broadband!
Hi,

is your saved video in 16 bit by any chance, looks like that might be an issue.

cheers,

Robin

Re: New Feature : Planetary Live Stacking

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:53 pm
by PeterC65
[quote=admin post_id=39507 time=1700517653 user_id=2]
is your saved video in 16 bit by any chance, looks like that might be an issue.
[/quote]

Yes. I have the camera set to RAW16 and the SER file info is saying that the PixelDepth is 16.

I assume that most people with OSC cameras will be using RAW16. Is this a problem, or something you might be able to fix?

I'm still trying to download the file from Borodog. Do you want me to send you (via Google drive) the Mars capture that seems to be causing the issue?

Peter

Re: New Feature : Planetary Live Stacking

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:14 pm
by Borodog
That's a bad assumption. :O) Nobody does planetary imaging in 16bit. Too slow.

Speaking of slow, does this tool slow down the frame rate to disk? No, at least not at the frame rate I tested, 30 fps:

https://youtu.be/xv3G7Gfa3kc

Re: New Feature : Planetary Live Stacking

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:23 pm
by PeterC65
I'm not doing planetary imaging, I'm doing EAA. Anyway, the question (for Robin) still stands. Can this feature be made to work in 16-bit mode or should the instructions mention that 8-bit mode must be used?

Peter

Re: New Feature : Planetary Live Stacking

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:15 am
by Borodog
Well, there is a reason nobody who does planetary imaging uses 16 bit, aside from the fact that it slows down the frame rate. That reason is that the exposures are so short, the extra 8 bits are all noise. 16 bit literally gets you nothing but fewer frames. There is no benefit at all.

But yes, it probably should be mentioned in the instructions that 16 bit is not recommended or needed.

Re: New Feature : Planetary Live Stacking

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:40 am
by RMSQueenMary
I have done some planet stacking. I found 8 bit videos take up a lot of space when I use the IMX385 to image planets. Even compressed video files have given me good results. This should be interesting. 8-)

Re: New Feature : Planetary Live Stacking

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:58 am
by zerolatitude
Saturn and Jupiter.
Raw frame vs stack of 1000 with some (quick and dirty) wavelet and color work.

These are from an already taken ser in test mode.
Single frame from raw ser
Single frame from raw ser
Saturn_Raw.png (172.2 KiB) Viewed 227358 times
Stack of 1000 plus Q&D wavelets and colour
Stack of 1000 plus Q&D wavelets and colour
Saturn_1000f.png (72.09 KiB) Viewed 227358 times
Single frame from raw ser
Single frame from raw ser
Jupiter_Raw.png (262.72 KiB) Viewed 227358 times
Stack of 1000 plus Q&D wavelets and colour
Stack of 1000 plus Q&D wavelets and colour
Jupiter_1000f.png (160.18 KiB) Viewed 227358 times

Re: New Feature : Planetary Live Stacking

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:26 am
by johnpd
Thanks Robin,

A few years ago I asked if you could repeat the feature built into the old SBIG STV called "Best Sharp". This feature would compare successive images and only display the sharpest one of the images taken. With your new feature you topped the STV feature. Thanks again.

JohnD

Re: New Feature : Planetary Live Stacking

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:24 pm
by Borodog
Please note that you can use the display stretch in conjunction with this tool, to clip out ringing at the edge of the planet (move the black point slider right), to brighten the image (move the white point slider left), and to increase the contrast (move the midpoint slider to the right).
sliders.png
sliders.png (179.01 KiB) Viewed 227316 times