Re: IP PEG
Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:10 pm
Hi Tim,
Great question. I'll take a stab it. What you say may be true for Cepheids as long as you know with accuracy the QE curve of your sensor, however there may be enough variation in the radiation in the population of Cepheids that you can not achieve accuracy of 0.001 magnitudes which is the gold standard that all photometrists aspire to.
Beyond Cepheids there are other stars of interest that don't fall into that mold including eclipsing systems and exoplanets. Furthermore long term studies of variable stars can span multiple generations of technology breakthroughs, optics configurations, and individual photometrists. One must have a way of standardizing magnitude measurement. The best way (so far) of achieving that is to derive your equipment's transformation coefficients so as to transform instrumental magnitudes to standard magnitudes.
Doug and I use a single filter, instead of B-V or B-V-IR, because we are mostly interested in the shape of the light curve rather than the magnitude value. In the case of Doug's Qatar-1 light curve, the time of eclipse start and end is extremely valuable.
Way back when I was an undergrad in Astronomy 101, one of the first labs required us to use the school's 25-inch scope to measure the light curve of a variable star. CCDs were relatively new and expensive back then, so I used a photomultiplier tube. The technology was different but the mathematical data reduction was the same as today, if I remember correctly.
Brian
Great question. I'll take a stab it. What you say may be true for Cepheids as long as you know with accuracy the QE curve of your sensor, however there may be enough variation in the radiation in the population of Cepheids that you can not achieve accuracy of 0.001 magnitudes which is the gold standard that all photometrists aspire to.
Beyond Cepheids there are other stars of interest that don't fall into that mold including eclipsing systems and exoplanets. Furthermore long term studies of variable stars can span multiple generations of technology breakthroughs, optics configurations, and individual photometrists. One must have a way of standardizing magnitude measurement. The best way (so far) of achieving that is to derive your equipment's transformation coefficients so as to transform instrumental magnitudes to standard magnitudes.
Doug and I use a single filter, instead of B-V or B-V-IR, because we are mostly interested in the shape of the light curve rather than the magnitude value. In the case of Doug's Qatar-1 light curve, the time of eclipse start and end is extremely valuable.
Way back when I was an undergrad in Astronomy 101, one of the first labs required us to use the school's 25-inch scope to measure the light curve of a variable star. CCDs were relatively new and expensive back then, so I used a photomultiplier tube. The technology was different but the mathematical data reduction was the same as today, if I remember correctly.
Brian