Problems with PoleMaster

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
cytan299

Re: Problems with PoleMaster

Post by cytan299 »

I've opened a ticket using their ticket system instead. But the qhy ticket system hasn't sent me a ticker number.

Let's see whether they will actually get back to me.

cytan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Where is the :facepalm: smiley when you need it...

Ok, I will try again to persuade them that they have introduced this bug in the SDK. I will also report that the forums are not working...

cheers,

Robin
mwg3656

Post by mwg3656 »

Hi Robin,

Good news, I updated to 3.2.6086 this morning and now the Polemaster camera appears operate correctly. However, I still get the "Adjust the USB Traffic control to achieve optimum results" and the frame rate seems to be limited a 4 fps regardless of the Exposure/Gain setting combination.

mwg
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

mwg3656 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:54 pm Hi Robin,

Good news, I updated to 3.2.6086 this morning and now the Polemaster camera appears operate correctly. However, I still get the "Adjust the USB Traffic control to achieve optimum results" and the frame rate seems to be limited a 4 fps regardless of the Exposure/Gain setting combination.

mwg
Which version of qhyccd.dll are you using? I've tried 3.2.6086 and the latest 3.2.6097 and the both don't work with the bundled qhyccd.dll. I still have to use the bundled qhyccd.dll from 3.2.6020.

The only good news that I have is that I got a reply from QHY and they are looking into the problem.

cytan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Odd that different people are getting different results here. I do wonder if there are different revisions of the pole master camera that might react slightly differently to the new SDK.

Don't worry about the message to adjust the USB speed – that just appears when opening the camera to remind you that the default speed that SharpCap chooses is on the slow side to try to ensure stability. My goal is to pick a speed that works for pretty much everyone and then let those who want faster frame rates adjust the controls to get the best frame rate rather than picking a speed that works great for some people and doesn't work at all for others.

Cheers, Robin
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

admin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:12 pm Hi,

Odd that different people are getting different results here. I do wonder if there are different revisions of the pole master camera that might react slightly differently to the new SDK.

Don't worry about the message to adjust the USB speed – that just appears when opening the camera to remind you that the default speed that SharpCap chooses is on the slow side to try to ensure stability. My goal is to pick a speed that works for pretty much everyone and then let those who want faster frame rates adjust the controls to get the best frame rate rather than picking a speed that works great for some people and doesn't work at all for others.

Cheers, Robin
I actually have 2 Polemasters. One is an OEM version remarked as iOptron, while the other is directly from QHY. Both behave the same. But ...

I just ran 3.2.6097 with the “bad” qhdccd.dll and it worked ... once! But the frame rate was low <1 FPS no matter how I adjusted the usb traffic. I then exited and reran 6097 and the white saturated screen came back! I reverted back to the “good” qhyccd.dll, it was also saturating. But after a reset, with the good qhyccd.dll, everything worked again. And the FPS was > 3.

Hopefully qhy will have some insights or be able to reproduce what I saw.

cytan
tc.astro

Post by tc.astro »

I have the Polemaster white screen problem. I have gone back to SharpCap 3.1. That works.

The problem exists with both 32 and 64 bit SharpCaps. The qhyccd.dll version is 0.5.1.0

3.2 worked for a long time but I didn't record which version started failing. I can't tell from this forum either. Is there a consensus? Is 3.2.6028.0 the most recent working version?

I will note that 3.2 sometimes works. I accidentally started 3.2.6062.0 one day and it worked. But the next day it didn't.

A history of QHY dlls is available at https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=cont ... 127&id=162 (it's not up to date though). It would be useful if SharpCap provides version numbers for the QHY dll used.
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

Hi guys,
Here's the link to the ticket that I opened with QHY

https://www.starsensesci.com/helpticket ... jhog%3D%3D

Hopefully, there'll be results from them soon.

In fact, I just got a reply and they have reproduced the problem. Please see the above link.

cytan
tdaiber

Post by tdaiber »

Thank you all, I was about to go crazy before finding this thread.
I think, I can add to the confusion:
SC and PM were working fine on 2 PCs. Not sure, which SC version was running. Before heading to a StarParty, I updated SC and once there, I found this problem, using PC2. Tonight I tried to solve but could not find any setting, USB port, cable that did the trick. I connected to PC1 , running 3.2.6086, just like PC2. It worked. Once. Then the same problem occurred afterwards.
Now I installed 6062 on PC2, copied qhyccd.dll (v0.5.0.5) to PC1 but to no avail. Not knowing what elso to try, I also copied SharpCap.Cameras.QHY.* but SC complained. I had renamed the newer files, now named then back, and guess what: It worked :shock: Even after unplugging and reconnecting the camera, even after rebooting the PC. This is still 6086.
I installed 6097 on PC2, which of course did not work out of the box. Even after copying the older qhyccd.dll did not do the trick. I then renamed SharpCap.Cameras.QHY.dll and restarted SC. There was a message too quick to be read, but oviously SharpCap.Cameras.QHY.dll had been restored and it works now also on PC2. For the moment I am glad :)

Clear skies
Torsten
tdaiber

Post by tdaiber »

I tried today again, with the effect, the the PM is again not working. And magically the version of qhyccd.dll changed from 0.5.0.5 to 0.5.1.5 Again, this is with SC 3.2.6097 with everything working ok yesterday.

Torsten