Focusers

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
melvin

Focusers

Post by melvin »

Hi I am contemplating fitting a Primaluce Sesto Senso focuser, will it be recognised? If not which focuser will be and how will identying a specific focuser be usedby the software?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Focusers

Post by admin »

Hi,
any focuser that has an Ascom driver will be supported by SharpCap. You just need to make sure you have installed the Ascom platform and the focuser driver. Everything else you need to know is in the documentation in the hardware section.

Cheers, Robin
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Only just noticed this so not sure if you have purchased it already, but I have a Sesto Senso and Sharpcap controls it fine without any problems. The only thing I have noticed is that if you open the actual Sesto Senso focus Application after using Sharpcap it does not always recognise the last position correctly and will usually show the last position used with the Primaluce App and not were it parked in Sharpcap.

This is not an issue as I only ever use the Primaluce App to initially calibrate the focus motor for travel speed / acceleration etc after which I never use it again unless something changes. When only using Sharpcap the last position for the focus motor step count is always correct.

Regards
Nick
melvin

Post by melvin »

Hello all, I have downloaded Ascom driver 6.4 but when I open it there is a Miriad of headings, so which one do I need to click on to ensure the focuser, which I have not yet purchased, works correctly?
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

You will see a Sesto Senso one after installing the Primaluce Ascom software.

Cheers
Nick
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Hi melvin,

Just to counter any confusion, because this is sometimes misunderstood. The ASCOM 6.4 Platform is a basic infrastructure that allow multiple drivers, hardware and software to communicate. You'll still need to install the focuser ASCOM driver. Once all of this is installed SharpCap and any other application that supports ASCOM will be able to communicate with the focuser.

hope this helps.
-Wikkett
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Just for clarity once you install the Primaluce Sesto Ascom driver you will be able to select it in the Sharpcap hardware setup as below.

Cheers
Nick
Attachments
Sesto.jpg
Sesto.jpg (34.04 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
SgtBilko

Post by SgtBilko »

A couple of things I have found having just installed a Sesto.

1. Make sure you use the right driver 32bit or 64bit for you version of Sharpcap. I have an Eagle runnig 64bit Windows and forgot I took Robin's advice and installed 32bit Sharpcap..... then intalled 64bit ASCOM driver for the Sesto..... doh !!

2. Unlike my EQMOD ASCOM driver you can only use one piece of software controlling the Sesto at one time - either SharpCap or Sesto controller. I use my Sesto off the back of and EDGEHD8 (with a feather touch focuser) so I can't do a maunal rough focus and then use SharpCap. I have to rough focus with Sesto controller - then disconnect it - then connect to SharpCap....... a bit of a pain.

Ian
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Hi Ian,
Why do you not just focus it from Sharpcap as that is what I do I know that the focus with the 0.75x reducer on my refractor occurs at around 11400 steps and at around 13400 with the 1.0x flattener so I just directly type these into Sharpcap and hit return then run the Autofocus routine. I never need to use the actual Sesto software other than for initial calibration when first fitted. Once you have focus just make a note of the step count as it is an absolute focus motor so should always be able to return to the same spot(s).

Cheers
Nick
SgtBilko

Post by SgtBilko »

Thank you NIck..... becuase I didn't scroll down the Camera Control Panel and see that SharpCap is capable of conttrolling the Senso. :D :D :D :D :D

Would you be kind enough to tell me what focus settings you use on both Senso control panel and in SharpCap, please. When I run autofocus my values are all over the place.

The only other problem I have is that if for any reason

Ian