Better Pause for Live Stacking

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
jasondoyle

Better Pause for Live Stacking

Post by jasondoyle »

Whenever I tell SharpCap Pro to plate solve it erases the current live stack, even when paused. This is troublesome after a meridian flip when I have to to do a plate solve to center the image. It would be nice if the live stack persisted through the plate solve routine.

A next level request would be that SharpCap Live Stack would be smart enough to detect a percentage of variance from the stack (like a decreasing star pattern match), pause the stack, then auto-perform a plate solve and resume the live stack. Though this may require an ability to send commands to PHD to stop, then auto pick a star and resume guiding which would complicate things.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Better Pause for Live Stacking

Post by admin »

Hi,

That's odd – I just tried the same thing with the test camera image and didn't get any reset of the stack when using either the blind plate solver from the menu or the plate solver from the mount control. From your comments though it appears you might be using the PHD integration in SharpCap, which might be relevant to this.

Anyway, perhaps if you could post the full SharpCap log of a similar incident then I might be able to pick apart what's going on.

Cheers, Robin
jasondoyle

Post by jasondoyle »

Here's the log.

I did a file save at 23:25. Shortly after paused the live stack, stopped PHD, did the meridian flip, did another plate solve. At that point it appeared the live stack reset. The live stack window may have closed when I did the plate solve which is when I think the live stack reset. I don't think I closed the live stack.
Attachments
Log_2019-08-17T20_45_26-992.log
(276.09 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
jasondoyle

Post by jasondoyle »

Ok... looking the log here might be what I actually did.

after the meridian flip I think I probably did click the Live Stack button on the toolbar as I wanted to view the live image. I wanted to verify I had a good live image to plate solve from. I also may have changed exposure settings to capture more stars.

May be I just need guidance as to the recommended way to plate solve while in the middle of a live stack.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

It should just be as simple as

Pause stacking
change the drop down in live stacking to view the raw frames instead of the stack
run Meridian flip
hit the plate solver and sync button
change the drop down back to view the stack
resume stacking

I must admit I've never tried this procedure but it seems likely it should work.

Cheers, Robin