Polar alignment

Using SharpCap's Polar Alignment feature
Kempa

Polar alignment

Post by Kempa »

Hi all
I am new to astrophotography. I have tried to to polar alignment using sharp cap. With guidescope and camera. I live in Sydney.
I am able to get first step well. Got struck in second step because when I rotate RA axis to 90 degree. The guidescope move to lower position and view is getting obstructed and I couldn't able to see sky. I tried on other side as well and has same obstruction in my backyard. I can see west and south clearly.

My question is can I change move telescope up to view the sky(DEC angle) keeping RA axis at 90 degree?

I really appreciate any suggestions

Thank you
Kempa
admin
Site Admin

Re: Polar alignment

Post by admin »

Hi,

A good approach for this sort of situation is to start with the telescope 45° to the right of vertical and then rotate it from that position to 45° to the left of vertical. You still get a 90° rotation of the field of view in the camera but you are keeping the telescope higher up while doing so which gives you a better chance of clearing any obstruction that you have.

Hope this helps, Robin
Kempa

Post by Kempa »

Thank you I will try it tonight.
regards
Kempa
Kempa

Post by Kempa »

Dear Robin

I am able to get polar alignment with guidescope.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Can I do polar alignment with OAG ?. I want to take out guidescope and use OAG which is already in place

Regards

Kempa
Kempa

Post by Kempa »

Hi Robin
Sorry to mention my scope details
APM 152mm. FL after reducer- 900mm. QHYCCD OAG. QHY5LIII guide scope. QHY163 M is Imaging scope
Thanks in advance

kempa
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

You probably won't be able to get it to work with the OAG because the field of view will be too small for the plates solving to work. You may be able to get it to work with your main camera as that has a larger sensor and therefore the field of view will be larger. There are various websites that you can put in the focal length and the sensor size to work out the field of view.

Cheers, Robin