Can only find one star plate solving

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
symon

Can only find one star plate solving

Post by symon »

Hi, I am at a bit of a loss plate solving I have downloaded Astro tortilla and all of the indexes but every time I try to plate solve I get the message. plate solved failed only 1 star found maybe too few try reducing sigma value. the sigma value is already set to 1 and I have gone to 50 with the same result. Has anybody else had this problem?
Many thanks in advance
Simon
admin
Site Admin

Re: Can only find one star plate solving

Post by admin »

Hi,

Probably the best thing to do is to save an image using the snapshot button and then try to upload it to astrometry.net to see if the web version plate solving program works on it or share the image here so that we can have a look at it and see if we can work out what is going wrong.

Cheers, Robin
symon

Post by symon »

Thanks Robin I truly love the features of sharp cap I was a person who struggled with polar alignment previously now it's such a breeze
Thank you
Simon
symon

Post by symon »

Hi Robin I did a fresh install but seem to be still having a little trouble this was done with the simulator deep sky camera and the simulator for the mount too it does the same thing if I use my own camera too
Capture 1.JPG
Capture 1.JPG (94.1 KiB) Viewed 3253 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (105.53 KiB) Viewed 3253 times
Regards
Simon
symon

Post by symon »

Oh, by the way, these are not photos taken in the same sequence but I was trying to display what it does
regards
Simon
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Simon,

That's odd – it looks like it's actually complaining about -1 stars found. I wonder if some of the error is happening that is being incorrectly reported. Please can you test again and then send me the full log file (help -> show log) which will contain all the output from the plate solving application and let me track down what is going on.

Cheers, Robin
symon

Post by symon »

No problem Robin I will post when i get home from work Actually just as an after thought when i do a reinstall should i remove the prerequisite file too
Many thanks
Simon
symon

Post by symon »

Sorry Robin i have not got back to you before now. I didn't know about the log files and after opening them i could see that my index files weren't in the place it was looking so after fixing that it works like a charm, thank you so much for a wonderful product with great support, like i said earlier i really struggled with polar alignment now it's just a matter of a few clicks of the mouse twiddle some thunb screws and it's done
Regards
Simon
ESCelestron

Post by ESCelestron »

I am getting the same error message and the image solves on line. Simon what in specific did you do to solve this?

Thanks, or anyone else who knows the answer.
ESCelestron

Post by ESCelestron »

SharpCap list the txt file in users, you should set the path to the C:\cygwin\bin\solve-field if you are getting this message.