QHY-174M GPS Freezes at Random Times

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
denisgre

QHY-174M GPS Freezes at Random Times

Post by denisgre »

Hi there,

First post on the forums. I have a QHY-174M GPS that I've obtained for occultation work and testing it tonight I've been noting that it seems to freeze at random points and requires a reset to continue operations.

The problem occurs in either preview or capture mode - things seem to be going along fine and then the program freezes. The program hasn't crashed as I'm still able to reset the camera.

Running short cable through a powered hub - Windows 7 and USB 3.0 hub.

Running EQMOD mount.

Thanks for any assistance.

Best,

Denis Grey
admin
Site Admin

Re: QHY-174M GPS Freezes at Random Times

Post by admin »

Hi,

Please have a look at the link at the top of this page in the orange box about troubleshooting USB issues. USB hubs can often cause the sort of problem you are describing, so the first thing to do be to get back to the simplest possible set up (computer-> cable-> camera) and see if that can be made to work robustly. Once you have a simple setup working robustly, you can experiment reintroducing hubs or longer cables, possibly adjusting the USB speed setting to try and get a working configuration with a longer cable run if necessary.

Cheers, Robin
denisgre

Re: QHY-174M GPS Freezes at Random Times

Post by denisgre »

Closing the loop on this. I've upgraded my computer to a modern high-end laptop with USB 3 support. This, connected to the existing USB 3 hub via a short cable seems to work.

Issues now seem to be related to exposure times as switching to a longer exposure seems to make the GPS very unhappy. The "Locked" state returns when the exposure time is set back to something less than a second.

Thanks for your support.