How to avoid an image with the bayer pattern?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
descott12

Re: How to avoid an image with the bayer pattern?

Post by descott12 »

Thanks Dave,
I will stick to SER from now on and I will take the time to learn PIPP.
Interesting that PIPP read two different debayer patterns for you. Maybe that is just an example of why AVI isn't so good.
I also downloaded you debayer guide. Quite helpful. People like you really contribute so much to this hobby. Much appreciated.

Interesting that you mentioned that you sometimes see a grid pattern on your screen. I definitely do as well at certain zoom levels and I think that may have been confusing me when I was running test with all the different parameters. I probably saw a grid pattern that wasn't actually a debayer artifact.

Hey, how is your book coming along?
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Dave

SER plus RAW8 will be a good combination for higher fps and subsequent processing.

Book writing was interrupted to do a bedroom refurb for a daughter but I am now back on track - completion hopefully towards the backend of this year. Thanks for asking.

Dave
descott12

Post by descott12 »

Hey Dave,
I finally had another chance to try Jupiter. Captured RAW8 as a ser and avi. Both had the grid pattern.
AS3 recognizes the proper debayer pattern but the resulting png had the grid.

I loaded the ser into PIPP with a few options (debayer, crop, frame stabilization/planetary).
The resulting ser file stacked ok and did not have the grid pattern.
So, in my mind, that means SC is creating a bad avi/ser OR the camera is doing something funny.
What do you think?
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Dave

Could do with looking at a SER file raw data plus camera settings file. Also what exactly is in your optical train? PIPP can be used to trim a file so as to reduce the unwieldy amount of data for transferring round the internet. On the Output Options tab - as an example using drop 9 frames after each frame is output.
PIPP-reduce-file-size.JPG
PIPP-reduce-file-size.JPG (82.58 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
Dave
descott12

Post by descott12 »

Hey Dave, I just restacked the problematic ser file with AS3 and I don't see the grid. Very odd. I will try to capture a few more this week. I don't want to waste your time unless it is really reproducible. I am definitely starting to learn PIPP...it really does quite a bit.
Thanks,
Dave
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Thanks for the update Dave. Something odd going on here, maybe different steps/settings with the two tests? PIPP is a very useful toolbox and the site documentation is excellent.

Dave