How do I change bit rate in SharpCap?

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
astrobunny

How do I change bit rate in SharpCap?

Post by astrobunny »

I got a message tonight that i might increase the bit rate from 8 bits to get more detail while I was imaging Jupiter but there are no instructions on how to do it nor could I find anything in the camera controls.
turfpit

Re: How do I change bit rate in SharpCap?

Post by turfpit »

astrobunny

On the right hand side of the SharpCap window is the Camera Control Panel. Colour Space will allow a change to select a different camera property. This image shows the options available for a QHY5LII-C. The options available will vary with camera manufacturer/model. What camera do you have?

Color-Space-control.JPG
Color-Space-control.JPG (29.82 KiB) Viewed 4790 times

See https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Captur ... and%20Area
and https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Colour ... 0Explained

Dave
astrobunny

Post by astrobunny »

Thank you.
Do you know if i should use the RGB24 setting in capturing Jupiter?
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

astrobunny

RGB24 will work.

Generally, the consensus is to use RAW format and SER video for planetary imaging. RAW8 will give faster fps and RAW16 better quality but a slower frame rate. At the moment, for me at 53°N, Jupiter is reaching about 15°altitude and with atmospheric turbulence I see no discernible difference in image quality between RAW8 and RAW16. Therefore, at the present, I capture in RAW8.

See my (@turfpit) post in this topic viewtopic.php?t=211. Look at the camera settings file under the picture of Saturn - the settings file relates to a ZWO ASI120MC camera used to capture the image of Jupiter shown.

You might find this document of mine useful viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1156.

It took me a couple of years to get comfortable with all of this.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Was it this message?

"It looks like you are taking long exposure images at a bit depth of 8 bits. You might want to change to a higher bit depth to capture maximum detail"

That message should only appear if you are taking exposures of longer than five seconds (which tends to indicate that you are doing deep sky imaging rather than lunar/solar/planetary). If your camera has a 12 bit or other enhanced bit depth mode and you start taking those long exposure images in eight bit mode then you will see that message to remind you that you might not be getting the best out of your camera.

The simple guidelines are

For high-speed imaging (solar/lunar/planetary) capture in eight bit mode – for example RAW8 or MONO8.
For imaging deep sky objects you should generally capture in the highest bit depth supported by your camera

Hope this helps, Robin