How do I get better images with the SVBONY SV105 Camera?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
kuzby

How do I get better images with the SVBONY SV105 Camera?

Post by kuzby »

Hello, I tried my new astro camera SVBONY SV105 and till the clouds covered all sky, I had captured short video (only 100 frames) with the help of SharpCap v. 3.0. Then processed on Registax6.
Telescope was Newton 150/900. The snap has very high contrast, but I was not successful in corrections of it. Also in SharpCap not. Maybe my camera does not understand SC, or SC does not understand my camera. Anyway SVBONY SV105 is not listed amog supported cameras. Could anybody help me ?
21_04_52b.jpg
21_04_52b.jpg (161.13 KiB) Viewed 6886 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: How do I get better images with the SVBONY SV105 Camera?

Post by admin »

Hi,

I have split your post off into a new thread that can start a discussion about how best to use the SV 105 camera.

It would help if you could post a screenshot showing the controls that you have available in the control panel on the right-hand side as I'm not sure if any forum members have that model of camera, so we don't know quite what adjustments you might have at your disposal.

Cheers, Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Hello

Your captured image is pretty decent because detail can be seen inside the large craters. Therefore focus is good but the object is slightly over-exposed. I looked up the camera on the web and I imagine it is seen by SharpCap as a USB2 webcam type camera which uses drivers available as part of Windows. If possible, post the camera settings file that was created when you captured your image.

In order to manage the exposure during capture, the histogram can be used. I have loaded your posted image into processing software to show the histogram. As can be seen, the histogram hits the right-hand axis, meaning all the data has been turned to white and can never be recovered by processing.

original.jpg
original.jpg (47.55 KiB) Viewed 6870 times

With minimal processing I have been able create a gap at the right-hand side of the histogram. Aim for a histogram which finishes around 60% as shown by the vertical white line.

processed.jpg
processed.jpg (125.38 KiB) Viewed 6870 times

The following picture shows a USB2 webcam connect in SharpCap 3.0. Below the picture are some instructions to enable the histogram and adjust its right-hand side using the exposure camera setting.

USB2-capture-screen.JPG
USB2-capture-screen.JPG (100.69 KiB) Viewed 6870 times
  • The top left shows USB2 camera connected.
  • At the top right is the histogram icon - click this.
  • When the histogram appears, check the Logarithmic box.
  • With the moon as an image, the histogram should be touching the left hand side (this represents the black around the moon). This is ok.
  • Use the Exposure camera control to adjust the right hand side of the histogram so it ends around 60% (see picture below).
  • Commence the capture.
In this picture, a capture of mine is in progress. The histogram has a single white line as a mono camera is being used. Aim for the histogram to look something like this. Note that the image being captured looks dim on the display. This is not a problem as it can be brightened to taste in post processing - see viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1693.

capture-in-progress.JPG
capture-in-progress.JPG (56.98 KiB) Viewed 6870 times

A common way to mitigate the brightness of the moon is to use a red (Wratten #25) or IR Cut filter. I don't know if a filter can be attached to the end of your camera but if so, the red filter is a good investment.

Hope this helps. Please come back with any questions and remember to attach any camera settings files from captures.

Dave
kuzby

Post by kuzby »

Hi Dave,
Thank you very much for your help, I will try everything what is recommended and will see. I'm sending camera settings file, if you find it useful, please tell me some recommendations regarding the settings.

[SVBONY SV105]
Resolution=1920x1080
FPS=30,00
Colour Space=MJPG
Output Format=AVI files (*.avi)
Frame Rate Limit=Maximum
Exposure=31,3ms(Auto)
Timestamp Frames=Off
Brightness=-5
Contrast=20
Hue=0
Saturation=10
Sharpness=10
Gamma=152
White Balance=6500(Auto)
Gain=8
Apply Flat=None
Subtract Dark=None
Display Brightness=1
Display Contrast=1
Display Gamma=1
TimeStamp=2019-06-08T19:04:52.7627957Z

Regards
Zbynek
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Zbynek

No surprises in the capture settings file, I note the exposure for your image was 31.3ms.

If you have a look at this post of mine viewtopic.php?t=736 using a Sweex webcam (which will be similar in capability to yours) there is a camera settings file for download. The exposure in there is 7.8ms and you can see the result. I did use an IR cut filter which helps manage the brightness. The histogram will help you with a reasonable exposure setting - I would expect around 10ms will be ok. Expsoure was the only change I made from all the defaults offered by the camera.

I have found that it is best not to try to get the best looking image on the screen but to capture to the histogram and process to taste in a another package ( I use GIMP).

Look forward to seeing your next image maybe with a screenshot of the capture in progress.

Dave
kuzby

Post by kuzby »

Hello,
I tried to cut the exposure, but camera SV105 allows the shortest time only 15 ms:
Výstřižek.JPG
Výstřižek.JPG (43.02 KiB) Viewed 6836 times
Nevertheless the result is better. Crater Tycho - Newton 150/900, 1000 frames, used cca 200, detail Crater Tycho with Barlow 3x and Jupiter - low above horizont so only a few details are seen. Seeing average. Next time I try to use a filter (red, gray?). I must buy ones.
22_18_17abx.jpg
22_18_17abx.jpg (242.67 KiB) Viewed 6836 times
23_57_26.jpg
23_57_26.jpg (20.62 KiB) Viewed 6836 times
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Zbynek

Things are moving in the right direction now - some good detail (craters within craters) in the top left image. Jupiter is a hard target as low down at the moment (from the UK), the Moon is similar elevation at the moment. If the lower exposure limit is 15ms then the next step would be to introduce a filter to reduce the light. Maybe pick up a moon filter off eBay. I use an IR Cut filter to good effect. SVBONY have one on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SVBONY-1-25- ... Sw9PZczIsm, the question is will it fit your camera? Maybe check with your camera supplier first? Other filter options are a red filter (I have used a red Wratten #25) or a moon filter. An IR685 is a good option but rather expensive for an experiment.

Dave