QHY Polestar camera crashes

dmccallie

QHY Polestar camera crashes

Post by dmccallie »

I realize that the QHY Polestar camera is not a supported camera, but I have been using this camera with SharpCap's polar alignment tool, with good success. I prefer the SharpCap approach over the Polestar software.

That is, until recently when the Polestar camera started randomly crashing in SharpCap. The crashes are "silent" and random. Sometimes as soon as a few seconds, and sometimes only after 4-5 minutes of use. I don't think I have installed any new software that would have changed things, though Windows does weird things without asking (I'm a Mac user, mostly.)

The camera seems to work fine when it's not crashing - 8bit and 16bit modes work.

Pro license, Windows 10, 8GB memory, up-to-date SharpCap (version 3.2.5686). I noticed that when the camera first connects, SharpCap gives the "adjust USB bandwidth" message, but there is no USB bandwidth control showing in the Camera Control panel?

Is there any simple thing I should be doing to get the camera to work? So close....

---david
admin
Site Admin

Re: QHY Polestar camera crashes

Post by admin »

Hi,

I presume that you meant to type version 5986 rather than 5686 as the version of SharpCap you are currently using. Even if you're on 5986, there are a couple of updates since then that do introduce a new version of the qhy SDK which might possibly have some bearing on the situation. It would be definitely worth giving that update a try.

Another thing worth trying may be going back to a SharpCap build from before 23 January this year – that date was when I started introducing updated versions of the qhy SDK into SharpCap after a very long time when there were no new updates. The changes the qhy have made in these new versions are quite significant, so it would be a surprise if there are a few bugs in the new version that still need to be shaken out. For your particular requirements, going back to an older version may be the best option. You could even consider going back and installing SharpCap 3.1 alongside SharpCap 3.2 (you can have both installed at once) and using 3.1 for your polar alignment with the pole master camera.

Cheers, Robin
dmccallie

Post by dmccallie »

Thanks Robin!

Yes, my version was 5986, as you suspected. Typo.

I am currently trying a "fake" stack using the latest downloaded version (5994) and it seems to be working better than before. No crashes after 10 minutes of "stacking". I will try a polar alignment if we ever get some clear skies.

If that fails, I will try to test the 3.1 version.

BTW, I assume I should be using the 32-bit version? I think that's what gets downloaded from the website unless you select otherwise?

Thanks again.

--david
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi David,

Yes, you're right that most people should use the 32-bit version. I would only recommend the 64-bit version for those using high resolution cameras for live stacking who experience out of memory issues when using some of the more advanced live stacking tools.

Cheers, Robin
dmccallie

Post by dmccallie »

Just to complete the discussion - the latest 3.2 version ran long enough to accomplish polar alignment, but crashed about 10 minutes into a test "live stack" operation.

The 3.1 version worked fine - at least for an hour of test live stack and all other available menu options.

So, it seems for now that 3.1 is better if you want to use a QHY Polestar camera.

--david