Custom ROI with IMX174 (Basler)

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Axel

Custom ROI with IMX174 (Basler)

Post by Axel »

Hi,

My name is Axel. I am an amateur astronomer since many years and a SharpCap user since more than 1 year, mostly ZWO ASI-120MM and ASI-290MM or MC.
Since recently, I'm also using a Basler A1920-155uc (IMX174 sensor). ;)
Unfortunately, do not find how to use custom ROI as with my ASI cams. :?
Is there a way/a tip to do that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Axel.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom ROI with IMX174 (Basler)

Post by admin »

Hi Axel,

The code that supports Basler cameras does have support for ROI functionality if you select a resolution that is below the maximum resolution of the camera. However it does depend on the camera claiming to support reduced resolution modes and supporting two controls (offset X and offset Y) that allow the ROI area to be moved around. It may be that your model of camera does not have support for these features. The trouble is with the Basler cameras that is that there are often two or more ways to do the same thing and some camera support the first way and some camera support the second way :-(

If you could share your SharpCap log output after opening the camera (go to the help menu, choose show log and then copy all the text from the log) then there might be some more information that would help work out if there is anything that can be done to enable this feature.

Cheers, Robin
Axel

Post by Axel »

Daer Robin,

Thank you for your answer.
Actually, using the v5.0.12.11830 version of the driver (later versions didn't work), the following "Capture areas" are proposed :
1936x1216
1452x1216
1936x912
968x1216
1936x608
968x608

Different ROI are then availabe but I would like to use smaller areas / higher fps.
Pylon Viewer (Basler software) allows custom ROI but its ergonomy is poor and only AVI (2 Go files limitation) or TIFF/BMP formats can be recorded.

Regards,

Axel.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Ah, okay that makes sense. I do have custom resolutions available for some cameras – I will have to see if the code can be easily adapted to the way that the Basler cameras control the resolution.

Cheers, Robin