Run Away RA slew

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
AJS1

Run Away RA slew

Post by AJS1 »

I am using Sharpcap with a Losmandy G11T, Gemini 2 controlled mount. The mount controls work fine for awhile but then (each and every time I try it)they will suddenly run away slewing the scope out of control until it finally stops (30 degrees or so later) or the mount reaches its RA safety limits. I try to stop it by clicking on the stop button repeatedly when this happens. Sometime this will work eventually, like I said about 30 degrees or so of RA slew. Sometime I reach over and turn the mount off to get it stopped. Any ideas on how to correct this?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Run Away RA slew

Post by admin »

Hi,

I presume you're just using the manual left/right/up/down buttons, which should normally stop moving when you release the button. I have had reports previously that these buttons work poorly if you are using remote control software to access the PC remotely, but haven't heard of similar issues when you are working on a keyboard/mouse/monitor actually connected to the PC.

As a first step, please post the contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred, just in case there are any error messages in the log that might help point to the cause of the problem.

Thanks, Robin
calaban

Post by calaban »

Hi

Interesting. I have a new G11GT as of February and the same thing happen to me a few times. I even crashed into the tripod legs on one occasion. Only way to stop the runaway was to cut power.

Yes I was using remote PC to control the main PC mounted next to camera and lenses (in my case). Much better for USB connections but have to run a few power cables up to the rig.

I was also trying to wirelessly connect between the Gemini and the main PC. I then changes to crossover LAN cable between them and have not had a repeat. All good after that.

Regards Richard
calaban

Post by calaban »

Hi

Interesting. I have a new G11GT as of February and the same thing happen to me a few times. I even crashed into the tripod legs on one occasion. Only way to stop the runaway was to cut power.

Yes I was using remote PC to control the main PC mounted next to camera and lenses (in my case). Much better for USB connections but have to run a few power cables up to the rig.

I was also trying to wirelessly connect between the Gemini and the main PC. I then changes to crossover LAN cable between them and have not had a repeat. All good after that.

I should however mention that I have removed the G11GT from the hardware list in SharpCap so that it does not automatically connect, I did have some issues around SharpCap connecting and things going a bit weird. Nothing proven to date !! and will start a separate post on my plate solve issue using SharpCap.

Regards Richard
calaban

Post by calaban »

Just for people's info;

There are some posts on this in the Yahoo Gemini 2 group forum. These days I'm just always mindful of checking that the scope is going in the right direction and always ready to hit the "stop" button if needed.

Cheers