Identification using plate solving

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Chris A

Identification using plate solving

Post by Chris A »

Hi Robin

I know Sharpcap Pro already has a plate solving for mount position, but could you possibly implement a way to identify objects like very faint galaxies on ones live image using some type of plate solving method?

Thank you,

Chris A
BlackWikkett

Re: Identification using plate solving

Post by BlackWikkett »

If you're Live Stacking just save as seen and upload here http://nova.astrometry.net/upload The site will blind solve your image and annotate. If not live stacking upload a single frame works just as well.
Chris A

Post by Chris A »

You know that I know this Chris, but I want to do the actual solving of galaxies on the live stacking image. I was watching Jim in IA last night doing this in real-time with some other program and it was so cool!

Chris A
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Didn't even see who posted this and just gave the option of astrometry.net I think what your asking is a way to show astrometry.net annotations on on the SharpCap display. That would definitely be an awesome feature.
Chris A

Post by Chris A »

Yes, I agree with Chris that it would be a fantastic feature to show live to our NSN viewers.

Cheers!

Chris A
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice idea,

Another interesting twist would be to automatically name images based on the most prominent feature found in the (M 31, NGC 1024, etc. Etc.)

Cheers, Robin
Chris A

Post by Chris A »

That also sounds great Robin and I hope that this can be all implemented in the very near future in Sharpcap Pro.

Chris A
jrschmidt2

Post by jrschmidt2 »

I just want to add a vote for this feature. I will note that ASTAP can do this identificaiton already. As the simplest possible implementation, one could just CALL ASTAP automatically with command line options (as with plate solving) and have it open in an new window. A "cleaner" implementation would extract the data the ASTAP and then annotate the live stack itself.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think I'm definitely moving in this direction – if you check the latest SharpCap 3.3 beta then the 'Sequence Planner' tool has the option to choose one of the Messier objects from a drop-down to go to that target before imaging. I intend to add other catalogues to the list of objects available including the NGC catalogue and the Caldwell catalogue - this means that SharpCap has data on the positions of various deep sky objects and could potentially work out the names/identifiers of objects that are within the field-of-view after a plate solving operation has been completed. Another thing I have in mind is to sort all filter the list of objects based upon their current altitude above the horizon – so many things to do :-)

Cheers, Robin
roelb

Post by roelb »

ASTAP: can already do this: Tools > Deepsky (HyperLeda) annotation
Does a very excellent job:
Attachments
Arp 113_ZWO ASI533MC Pro_RAW_7--20,0s.jpg
Arp 113_ZWO ASI533MC Pro_RAW_7--20,0s.jpg (93.58 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
Roel
Celestron Nexstar Evolution 8 - Celestron Nexstar 6 SE - StarSense
ZWO ASI533MC-Pro -- ZWO ASI533MM-Pro