All Sky settings

Using SharpCap for other Astro Imaging such as all sky cameras and meteor detection
dfisherows

All Sky settings

Post by dfisherows »

Looking for help. I am trying to use SC with a ZWO ASI120MM-S camera with an all sky lens for all sky work. trying to get about 1000 images 20-30 secs each image with a 1 sec interval in between over a 6 hour or so period. I got a really nice one, but it was over 11000 images long and I had to process it in 6 different videos and combine them. Need to be more manageable, but I can't find the right combo and, more likely, need help using the settings correctly. It's driving me crazy. HELP! :roll:

Here is the link to the really nice one made out of 11000 images. you don't have to watch all of it. :lol:

https://youtu.be/CuG6_nBuonk
admin
Site Admin

Re: All Sky settings

Post by admin »

How about this - set up your 20-30s exposure, then go to 'Start Capture'. In the start capture dialog

* Choose time limit and select a limit of 1:00:00
* Tick 'perform a sequence'
* Set the sequence length to 6 and the interval to 0:00:01

That should record 6 separate videos of 1 hour duration (about 1200-1800 frames) pretty much continuously through the next six hours. If you want a gap between the frames in the video (ie less frames, but without increasing the exposure) use the 'Maximum Frame Rate' control to select 1 frame every 30s or 1 every minute.

cheers,

Robin
dfisherows

Post by dfisherows »

That's a start. Thank you.
dfisherows

Post by dfisherows »

It has been several months and I keep returning to this to see what I can't see. I have set the settings for this like you said excepting I have tried to get 7 one hour videos with one second in between. I end up with a 3-4 sec video taken every hour on the dot for 7 hours. I stuck! I don't know what I am doing wrong. When i take PNGs up to 2000 I get nice time lapses, but I was trying to video all night and then condense down in getting ready for the meteor showers coming. Here is a link to a recent time lapse made from pngs.

https://youtu.be/KaNO8CJr2Qw
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Post a screen shot showing the settings you use to run the capture sequence.

Dave
dfisherows

Post by dfisherows »

See attachment for details.
Attachments
Camera details
Camera details
props.JPG (100.35 KiB) Viewed 12687 times
dfisherows

Post by dfisherows »

Screen shot is attached.
Attachments
Screen shot
Screen shot
CaptureA[2208].jpg (114.36 KiB) Viewed 12685 times
dfisherows

Post by dfisherows »

And these settings allowed only a 2-3 sec video to be recorded every hour for 7 hours.
dfisherows

Post by dfisherows »

On e last note from last night. I checked 2 different times during the evening and the SC program at the bottom said it was recording for an hour.
dfisherows

Post by dfisherows »

Just discovered something. My 7 hours of video are there, but each hour is compressed into 3 secs. No matter what player I use, so I am believing it must be in my settings. Ideas?