In need of a SharpCap tutor

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
metrocat07

Re: In need of a SharpCap tutor

Post by metrocat07 »

Well Joe, have you gotten your scope dialed in? I'm a newbie to all of this as well which is how I found this topic, this is actually my first post. I am using a Nexstar 8 SE with a Revolution Advanced Imager kit with the ToupSky 224 camera, I am getting images of the Sombrero and Pinwheel and the Ring Nebula but this Sharpcap definitely takes some studying. Then to top it off we need to learn Deep Sky Stacker.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Metrocat

For a DSS introduction have a look at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Gazing-Gu ... 1-fkmrnull

A gentle intro in 40 pages and won't break the bank. Available as print or eBook. I have all 3 of Dave Eagle's books (DSS + Lunar + Photoshop) - 30 quid well spent to get to be able to use the substantially greater than 30 quid's worth of Astro gear :D

Dave
psy1280

Post by psy1280 »

Metrocat & Turfpit,

Sadly, SkySafari has found a calibration bug in their software, we've been trying to beta test all winter and I am still in limbo. The "fix" is due in weeks (so they say). I can't tell you how frustrating it has been. The one picture I took of the moon last fall was my last time I was able to use the scope. My wife thinks I'm crazy to get so upset, but if you're into astro imaging, I know you can identify. Also, thanks for the book suggestions Turfpit, I've ordered all three books in the hope that eventually I will once again join the SharpCap forums with something useful to share.

Yours,
Joe
metrocat07

Post by metrocat07 »

Joe, you can't just use the hand controller and do a 2 star align? I can set up my 8SE, enter time and date,do a 2 star alignment and use precise GOTO and can have a picture on the screen in 15 minutes. Getting a shot is not the problem it's figuring out the settings and exposure times etc.

With the focal reducer I am able to do my alignment with the camera and reticle feature in Sharpcap too as long as my guide scope stays calibrated, no more reticle eyepiece for alignment.

Turfpit I ordered that book, thanks!!
psy1280

Post by psy1280 »

Metrocat07,

Actually, after deleting and reinstalling the Skyportal app, everything seems to be working (SkySafari app is still in the works). Now that I can use the scope, we have a seven day of clouds ahead, so not much time to experiment. Unfortunately, it's been since fall that I began to develop a basic understanding of SharpCap and sadly, I'l have go back to basics...but at least I can once again begin the education!!!

Joe
metrocat07

Post by metrocat07 »

Keep at it! We'll get there together!
psy1280

Post by psy1280 »

Metrocat07,

I appreciate the support, right now that means a lot. I hope to be contributing useful information to this thread soon.

Joe
metrocat07

Post by metrocat07 »

Joe
Check out this vid, I was asking for the basics over at the astrovideoforum and Howie1 made this video. The guys over there are awesome. He lays out the basics of Sharpcap in an easy to understand way. Sorry if the vid starts five and a half minutes in, thats where I stopped last time I watched it and thought to post it here for you then I copied the link to paste here.

Sharpcap basics -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1NarA4_qxY

The forum is here -- http://astrovideoforum.proboards.com/

My book that Turfpit recommended is supposed to be here later today and I am off Mon- Wed, hope the skies are clear!!
psy1280

Post by psy1280 »

Metrocat07,

Thanks for sending the Youtube video, can't wait to take a look. Yesterday I set up inside to just familiarize with the process and couldn't get an image in SharpCap...finally I realized/remembered that I wasn't in focus! Duh! Shows you how much of a beginner I am, but not for long! My books should be arriving this week from the UK. Can't wait. Thanks again....

Joe
metrocat07

Post by metrocat07 »

Yep, I was having trouble a couple weeks ago and remembered I put the focal reducer in after viewing without it. The focal reducer is essential with the longer focal length SCTs. I wasn't getting an image and then remembered I was still in the focus area for viewing without the reducer.