Hardware asks for a mount selection for plate solving

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Daryl

Hardware asks for a mount selection for plate solving

Post by Daryl »

Just venturing into plate solving with ASPS using a SW 150mm reflector, AZ-EQ 5 and a ZWO ADI 294 mc pro camera. Software worked after a several attempts within 30 seconds or so. However, to get the mount to synchronise sharpcap asks for the following file-settings-hardware then select a mount. What do I select : none, telescope simulator for NET, ASCOM Dome control, Generic Hub, Pipe diagnostic tool, POTH Hub or Simulator. The cable connection from camera to mount is USB for ZWO 294 (USB to USB). While the ZWO 290 camera is 6 pin connector (ST4) to the auto guide port not USB. I need some help and directions.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Hardware asks for a mount selection for plate solving

Post by admin »

Hi,

In order to use the plates solve and synchronise function that you need to have a computer-controlled mount that you can adjust directly from your PC. This usually means that the mount is connected to the PC via a separate USB cable, rather than via a camera's guide port. When the mount is only connected via the guide port SharpCap can only nudge the mount in each of the 4 directions – it can't instruct it to go to a particular point in the sky.

If you do have a computer connected go to Mount then you need to select the appropriate Ascom driver from the hardware list that corresponds to your mount. If you don't then the only option you have plates solving is to use the plates solve entry in the tools menu which performs a blind plates solve (across the whole sky) and only displays the results of the process.

Cheers, Robin
Daryl

Re: Hardware asks for a mount selection for plate solving

Post by Daryl »

Thanks Robin, I can use Stellarium on my PC laptop (USB cable) or SkySafari on my Ipad (connected wirelessly). I'll give it a run.